Thread: Registry Entry Change

Exclamation Registry Entry Change

I'm not sure if this has been posted already, but I would appreciate any help:

I have Spybot 1.4 and have always received pop-ups, but then they disappear. Recently, I've been receiving "Spybot - Search & Destroy has detected an important registry entry that has been changed" for QuickTime Task". Then a pop-up in the corner says "Resident denied the change of Quick Time task".

Research says start up S&D in Advance mode, but I have never started up S&D in Advanced mode becuase it says can harm system if certain options are used.

What can I do to prevent this pop-up? Previous pop-ups in the corner has always "allowed registry change".

THANKS!

What are you doing when the "Spybot - Search & Destroy has detected an important registry entry that has been changed" box comes up?Did you click deny,or click the close box(the x) in the upper right corner?Do the buttons on the box look alright,or are you not able to see the Allow or Deny button?

What can I do to prevent this pop-up? Previous pop-ups in the corner has always "allowed registry change".
    Sounds like you allowed the change before.
    With Teatimer,if you click Allow,you get the box in the corner that says 'allowed registry change.'If you click Deny,then you get a 'denied registry change' box in the corner.If you click the close box,this is the same as denying,so you get the 'denied registry change' box in the corner.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

beezimfunky:

Notes about TeaTimer and Advanced mode.

Quote Originally Posted by beezimfunky View Post
    Research says start up S&D in Advance mode, but I have never started up S&D in Advanced mode becuase it says can harm system if certain options are used.
    A note about TeaTimer:

The messages that you are getting are coming from TeaTimer. Since you indicate that you have never been in advanced mode because of the warning, you must have elected to activate TeaTimer during installation by checking the following item on the Select Additional Tasks installation screen:
    • Use system setting protection (TeaTimer).

Unfortunately, TeaTimer is not identified as an advanced mode type feature during installation. If TeaTimer is not activated during the installation process it can only be activated in advanced mode and my opinion the following warning definitely applies to TeaTimer:

Warning

The advanced mode of Spybot-S&D offers more options than the default mode; but those also include some that can do harm to your system if you are not sure what you are doing. Do you really want to switch to advanced mode?
    [Yes] [No]
    A note about Advanced Mode:

The reason that the warning is issued is because there are extra features made available when you go into advanced mode that can, if misused, cause problems on your system. That is the reason that the warning is issued.

When you go into Advanced mode no settings are automatically changed. You can go into Advanced mode and as long as you do not alter anything in the screens themselves, you have not changed the way anything operates. In other words, you can go into Advanced mode and return to Default mode without any problems as log as you don't change any options.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.