Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ads in lower left corner of browser (displayed in flash player)

How is the computer now - any remaining problems?

The only manifestation of the malware I had used to be that <div> with the ad in my browsers, and that seems to have disappeared completely.
    What do you think? Am I in the clear?

What do you think? Am I in the clear?
    We’ll run an online scan to be sure there is nothing else lurking and if that’s OK we can clear up .

Run ESET Online Scan

Note: You can use either Internet Explorer or Mozilla FireFox for this scan. You will however need to disable your current installed Anti-Virus, how to do so can be read here.

Hold down Control and click on the following link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.

ESET OnlineScan
    • 1. Click the Eset online Scanner button.
      2. For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
      • Click on esetinstaller.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
      • Double click on the Eset installer icon on your desktop.
      3. Check Yes, I accept the Terms of Use
      4. Click the Start button.
      5. Accept any security warnings from your browser.
      6. Check Scan archives
      7. Push the Start button.
      8. ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
      9. When the scan completes, push List of found threats
      10. Push Export to Text file and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
      Note - when ESET doesn't find any threats, no report will be created.
      11. Push the back button.
      12. Push Finish

If a log has been produced post it in your next reply.

Satchfan

I'm travelling out of town for the weekend, so I'm afraid I won't have time to reply until sunday evening. I'll scan and post the scan log once I get back home, sorry for the trouble.

I got to 99% and got 3 hits before I had to stop and go to the station.

Log
    C:\CCE_Quarantine\{07A9B4F8-6832-4C14-BE26-79A39D5C19B1} Java/TrojanDownloader.OpenStream.NCN trojan deleted - quarantined
    C:\CCE_Quarantine\{6201C135-074D-4A7A-B870-385AB3D3AB5F} Java/Exploit.Agent.NBE trojan deleted - quarantined
    C:\Users\Max\Desktop\Stuff\Roota\Backup\Apps\Traffic Statistics_7.7.apk a variant of Android/Adware.AdsWo.B application deleted - quarantined

I'm gonna do a complete scan on sunday as well and post the results from that too.

OK I'll wait for that but you seem to be all clean. 2 of those found were already quarantined so pose no threat and will disappear when we clean up the tools we've used.

The other appears to be some sort of phone app adware which is rife amongst phone apps but not a great threat.

I'll wait to hear from you.

I've now completed a scan, but no results were found. How do we proceed from here?

Good work, your computer appears to be clean.

Now that you’re free from malware, as long as your computer seems to be running well, please follow these simple steps to tidy up you computer and decrease the likelihood of getting infected again:

Uninstall Combofix

Follow these steps to uninstall Combofix
    • click START then RUN
    • now type Combofix /uninstall in the runbox and click OK.

Note the space between the X and the /, it needs to be there.

• please follow the prompts to uninstall Combofix.
    • once it's finished uninstalling itself you will receive a message saying Combofix was uninstalled successfully.

===================================================

Uninstall OTL
    • Double-click OTL.exe
    • Click the CleanUp! button.
    • Select Yes when the Begin cleanup Process? prompt appears.
    • If you are prompted to reboot during the cleanup, select Yes.
    • The tool will delete itself once it finishes, if not delete it by yourself.

NOTE: If you receive a warning from your firewall or other security programs regarding OTL attempting to contact the internet, please allow it to do so.

You can just delete all other logs and programs we’ve used that are on your desktop. Just click on them and press Delete.

Uninstall AdwCleaner
    • double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool
    • click on Uninstall
    • confirm with Yes.

You can delete all other logs and programs we’ve used that are on your desktop. Just click on them and press Delete.

Update installed programs

You have old versions on your computer which are vulnerable to infections.

Java & Adobe Reader
    • from the Start menu, select Control Panel.
    • in Large or Small icon view, click Programs and Features. If you're using Category view, under "Programs", click Uninstall a program.
    • select any versions of Java, Flash and Adobe Reader then click Uninstall.

Install the latest versions:

Java
    Adobe Reader

Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Download and install Spybot Search and Destroy which provides real time spyware and hijacker protection .

You should scan your computer with the program on a regular basis as you would with your anti-virus software.

A tutorial on installing and using SS&D can be found here

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. This really is an excellent program that you should update and run on a regular basis, probably weekly.

It’s important to keep programs up to date so that malware doesn't exploit any old security flaws.

FileHippo Update Checker is an extremely helpful program that will tell you which of your programs need to be updated.

I also recommend that you read the following:

How to prevent malware by miekiemoes

If I hear nothing for 24 hours I shall assume all is well and close the topic.

Safe computing

Satchfan

Thanks Satchfan, I did as you advised and updated my software, as well as installed Anti-malware. Might have to take a look at that article as well.
    I've donated a small amount to Doctors Without Borders as a way to say thank you. Cheers!

Thanks Satchfan
    You're welcome

I've donated a small amount to Doctors Without Borders as a way to say thank you.
    That's very kind and a very good choice.

Take care

Satchfan