Thread: Babylon toolbar not completely removed

Question Babylon toolbar not completely removed

I used Spybot S&D to try to remove Babylon toolbar from a friend's laptop running Windows 7 but it was not completely successful. The first pass identified (I think) 73 problems and fixed all but 12 of these. A run at re-start cleared most of the remaining entries.

On running Spybot again 3 entries were found and were reported as fixed. However, on running Spybot again these entries were again detected.

The entries which were not deleted were within HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar\.
    [32 bit and 64 bit]
    One was {98889811-442D-49dd-99D7-DC866BE87DBC}

plus one other which I forgot to make a note of but it showed that it was associated with Babylon.toolbar.

I tried to delete the entries manually to no avail via Regedit and using Regalyzer.

I do not currently have access to the computer which appears to be working OK and would appreciate any suggestions you might have for when I next see my friend and if you could say whether you think it is OK to continue to use the computer in its current state please.

All actions were taken with programs "Run as Administrator"
    Last edited by tashi; 2012-11-02 at 16:25. Reason: Moved from the malware forum, no logs presented. ;-)

Hello BrianAB,

Sorry for the delay, there are a few topics regarding the toolbar.

For example in this particular forum,

Babaloyn Toolbar

Babylon.Toolbar and Claro.Toolbar false positives

Quote Originally Posted by BrianAB View Post
    I do not currently have access to the computer which appears to be working OK and would appreciate any suggestions you might have for when I next see my friend and if you could say whether you think it is OK to continue to use the computer in its current state please.
    If the remnants of a toolbar are the only issue and the computer is working OK your friend's PC will likely be fine.

To post in the malware forum as you did previously they'd need logs in order to take a look at the system: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Thanks.

My friend actually called me this morning as Babylon search was still appearing in Google Chrome and suggested that he carry out a scan using some software which I did not recognise. Sensibly he declined and instead ran a scan using Spybot which again detected the existence of Babylon and again claimed to have fixed the issue.

I have asked him to let me have the laptop when he goes away for a couple of days and I will check it again and contact you if necessary when I have it.

Brian

My friend actually called me this morning as Babylon search was still appearing in Google Chrome and suggested that he carry out a scan using some software which I did not recognise.
    Babylon search suggested he carry out a scan? Do you recall the name of the software?
    I have asked him to let me have the laptop when he goes away for a couple of days and I will check it again and contact you if necessary when I have it.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016