Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spybot 2: Third party cookies and flash cookies?

Default Spybot 2: Third party cookies and flash cookies?

I think Spybot changes the setting to block third party cookies in Firefox for me. I think there was a popup asking me if I wanted to do it, but I guess it confused me. The pop up never showed up again, and I can't find any setting that disables this thing. I don't want to block third party cookies.

Also, how do you keep Spybot from detecting flash cookies? Can't find any setting for that either.

For the ignoring Flash Cookies part,open Spybot,place a checkmark in Advanced User Mode,double click Settings,select the Ignore List tab.Click Add,then in the white space at the top,type Flash.That should bring Adobe Flash Player cookies to the top of the list,select that with your mouse,click Apply,then Ok.

....and for third party cookies in firefox,this is from the Spybot help file:
    Cookies are small pieces of data that websites use to store information on your computer. "Bad" cookies can be used to track a users Internet usage. Rather than remove them after they have been stored on your computer you can choose to block them.

We recommend that you disable all third party cookies. This stops them arriving so you do not have to remove them later.

To undo these changes, the appropriate settings within the affected browsers can be used. These are, for example:

Mozilla Firefox and most clones: type about:config into the address bar. Confirm that you want to continue editing settings. Enter network.cookie.cookieBehavior into the filter box. Double-click and change the value to 0 to get the default behaviour back. All possible settings are explained at mozillaZine.

Thanks for the help, I also added Macromedia.Flashplayer.Cookies.

But that thing in about:config seems to be the same thing I have been changing in the firefox setting that keeps changing back.

Tools -> Options -> Privacy / Cookies
    "Accept cookies from sites"
    Accept third-party cookies
    I remember a popup in Spybot 2 asking me to block 3rd party cookies in my browsers, I tried stopping it from doing that but looks like it did it and keeps on doing it.

That setting keeps changing back every day.

After you checkmark Accept third-party cookies,make sure you click OK.If you click the red X to close the window instead of clicking OK,then the setting changes back to what it was before.

I have been doing that.

Looking through Spybot,I'm not seeing a setting for reversing that.I did find in Settings->Dialogs where you can uncheck it so that Spybot doesn't offer to disable tracking cookies in browsers,but when I tried removing the check,then readding it in,the popup didn't come back up for me to offer to block third party cookies.

I do remember having to change blocking third party cookies in Firefox to get an app to work a long while back when this Spybot was in beta.
    If I am remembering this right,I changed Firefox to accept third party cookies within Firefox,and I don't remember having to change anything within Spybot to get it to "stick",because Spybot only changed the setting within Firefox for me,it did nothing to change the setting back,I don't think.Though I may not be remembering that correctly,either.If I do find any settings in Spybot,I'll post them here.

Which version of Firefox do you have?I see in Firefox 17 there are some issues with cookies,however,it doesn't seem to be with disabling or enabling cookies itself,but with Cookie exceptions instead,so that probably isn't the problem:
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewto...39676414994e87

Im using firefox 17, release channel.

I'm gonna try reinstalling Spybot, se if i can get the popup to reappear. First I'm gonna reboot without it installed, se if the setting changes. Every time i start spybot, there is a spybot icon in the taskbar. That seems to be the thing that changes the firefox setting. I can't disable that icon from starting with my computer either.

The setting stays if i restart Firefox, but not when restarting the computer.

I tried looking,but couldn't find any teatimer type logfiles for the Spybot icon in the taskbar,so no easy way to find out what it's been up to lately that I can see.
    Okay,good luck with the reinstall.Please let me know how it goes.
    If I find anything easier to be done for future reference,I'll post it here.

This is dated Nov.9th,2012,so should be current:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/...imer-resident/
    So,the Spybot icon in the taskbar shouldn't affect anything.

And Sdhelper looks to be only for IE,so that shouldn't affect anything in Firefox,either:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/supp...teps-tutorial/
    hth.