Thread: Spybot 2 freezes after scan

Default Spybot 2 freezes after scan

I decided to install the new version and run a scan. Unfortunately, when the scan finishes the 'system scan' window freezes. It doesn't have 'not responding' status but it's just there and I can't click anything. The rest of Spybot still works though.

EDIT: I found the problem. It was offering to disable third-party cookies but the window was practically hidden underneath the 'system scan' window and I could barely see it. It would be more practical to make it by default on top when these type of notifications appear.

I also have to add that I'm with the sentiment that all the separate windows instead of being integrated into a single one is abit odd.
    Last edited by Tsukiyomi; 2012-12-09 at 15:34.

I had the exact same issue in March 2013 (with a more recent version of Spybot, I assume: 2.0.12.0), and I can see that this ridiculous programming mistake has still not been fixed.

I immediately suspected that there was a popup dialog hidden by the "main" window, but couldn't find it :
    - the popup dialog doesn't appear separately in the task bar, hence cannot be manipulated.
    - the main window cannot be moved around (in order to see the popup window), since you don't have access to any GUI features as long as the popup dialog is displayed. The "main" window is completely locked.
    - the main window perfectly hides the popup dialog . The popup dialog cannot be reached, even from one of its corners.

Shame on Spybot for not knowing how to properly code a Modal Window in 2013.

To make things perfectly horrible, the main window does not appear in the task manager (it's not present in the "Applications" tab, and I couldn't locate the process in the "processes" list). So I cannot even kill the process to start over.

Double shame!

You better fix that QUICK, you've been aware of this basic GUI defect for over 3 months now.

If a window is hidden under another window, you can switch between all open windows if you press the ctrg/strg key and press the Tab key, while you hold town the ctrg/strg key.
    This akways work if more as one window is open and allows you to switch between differnt windows and programs.

Also it would be of interest, which part Spybot did scan, when it freezed and if other Security Software is in use too.
    Last edited by bbnetwork; 2013-03-04 at 18:16.

לשונות רעות שנפגעו שלוש פעמים: למי שמדבר, שדברו עליהם ומי שמקשיב.

שלום

Quote Originally Posted by bbnetwork View Post
    If a window is hidden under another window, you
    Also it would be of interest, which part Spybot did scan, when it freezed and if other Security Software is in use too.
    As explained before, it didn't freeze. It completed the scan and then displayed a popup (probably asking if i wanted to fix the errors or something), and that popup is hidden, hence making the main window "locked".

The ctrl+Tab trick didn't work. I didn't know about it but i'd expect it to work only with MFC or .Net apps, i.e. using really really standard components.

Did you run Spybot with Admin-Rights?

לשונות רעות שנפגעו שלוש פעמים: למי שמדבר, שדברו עליהם ומי שמקשיב.

שלום

ctrl+alt tab will bring up all windows in < 7