Thread: My Laptop is Infected with Spyware

Post My Laptop is Infected with Spyware

I wonder if someone can help me?

I am having trouble with my laptop which has recently been infected with malware/spyware. My laptop locks up and freezes intermittently when Internet browsing and after using Malwarebytes and Spybot. I have to shut down and restart using the power switch.

I am running Windows XP Service pack 3 and have the latest free versions of Avast, AVS Firewall, Spybot and MalwareBytes.

To give you an outline, Avast detected a threat on a website so I opened Avast and found 6 infected files which I deleted from the virus chest. I ran Avast quickscan and moved 6 infected AMRes-de.dll files to the virus chest. Avast then prompted me to run a bootscan which detected some infected files (WIN32:Trojan-gen and WIN32:Malware-gen) in Sytem Restore, Temporary Internet Files and a folder in My Documents that I use to back up my data. I was unable to delete, repair or move the infected files from Avast bootscan and had to ignore the files and boot to Windows.

I was unable to restore to a previous restore point. I turned off system restore point and did a full system scan using Avast and Malwarebytes but nothing was detected.

I uninstalled Avast and tried to install Anvi Smart Defender 1.8 but the install did not complete so I removed Anvi Smart and re-installed Avast. I ran another full system scan with Avast and Spybot but again nothing was detected. I turned System Restore back on. I have checked several times and there is no WIN32:Trojan.exe or WIN32:Malware.exe running in Task Manager.

I have backed up my System Registry using ERUNT and have the log files.

Regards

Jimbub

Emeritus

Hi Jimbub,

Your post is a few days old. If you still need help post your DDS log.

locks up and freezes intermittently:
    This symptom you describe is not necessarily a result of malware.
    How Can I Reduce My Risk?

Hi Shelf life,

I am afraid my laptop has died. I need a new motherboard and it will take 7 to 10 days before I can get one. Is it still worth posting the DDS logs I have saved or should I wait until I get the new motherboard and then create new logs?

Kind Regards

James

Emeritus

hi,

Wait until you get the new board installed although at that point they wont be needed. Most likely a new board will require a reformat/re-install of Windows. In which case afterwords: you will have a malware free machine.

Hi Shelf life,

From what I understand I will install the new motherboard which will work with my existing hard drive and the O/S will not have to be formatted/re-installed, but I will still have the problem of what I believe to be spyware/malware on the hard drive. Of course I could erase the hard drive and then rel-install the O/S to remove the infection, but then I would lose all my data which I was hoping to avoid.

I think all I would need to do to the new motherboard is possibly update the BIOS.

Emeritus

ok good luck. Personally, its not something I would do with out a reformat/reinstall, just to avoid potential conflicts.
    Post a DDS log when you are up and running.