Thread: Noob immunization question

Default Noob immunization question

Hello.

I just installed Spybot S & D today.
    I have noticed that on reboot, I have to re-immunize every time (4 reboots, and every time immunization is off).
    I googled around, and the only thing I found was that I needed admin rights.
    I right clicked all the S S&D executables, and selected to run as admin for every exe, and also turned uac off (just to check).
    Reboot, immunize, and reboot again.
    Still, on every bootup I have to open immunizer, and immunize.
    Is there some setting I am missing that immunizes automatically on bootup, so I dont have to keep remembering to immunize on future bootups?

No,it's supposed to stay immunized,and you shouldn't have to immunize every time you reboot.

I right clicked all the S S&D executables, and selected to run as admin for every exe, and also turned uac off (just to check).
    Reboot, immunize, and reboot again.
    You wouldn't want to rightclick Spybot to run as admin,then reboot your computer.You'd want to rightclick Spybot and run as admin,and then immunize.

Could you tell me which version of Spybot you downloaded,Spybot 1.6.2,or Spybot 2.0?Letting me know will help to figure out what might be going on with immunization.

Win 7 64 Pro

Oh, and I have Avira AV free version on the machine also.
    Last edited by Dave3d; 2013-02-13 at 02:58.

I see that Avira has Real-Time protection included with the free version,is that correct?
    http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus
    I did find one time from a few years ago where it was said there was a problem with Spybot immunization and Avira Premium version,but that was the hosts file only,I believe,and you'd have gotten a warning from Avira:
    http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php...hreadID=136983

Did you turn UAC back on after turning it off to check about the immunization problem?

Also,the first time you immunized,did it immunize everything,or did you press the Stop button on the window?I noticed using my own Spybot when I pressed the Stop button before it was done that at the bottom of Spybot it says All entries are immunized,even though they are not.

Dave did you run the Immunusation with Admin-Rights?

I am using Avira Free too and i only noticed problems with immunsating about the hostfile, since Avira can block changed on the hostfile.

Yeah, only the hosts file was blocked.

And, I did run as admin.
    But, on reboot, immunization is still 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 for everything, and I have to immunize every time.
    :(

Hello,

If you think nothing has been immunized, please make sure you have clicked on “Check system” which can be found on the navigation bar on the left. This will check for already applied immunization.

The system is still immunized when you close Spybot.
    In order to see it you just need to manually "Check System". We will improve this feature, that it will automatically do this once you open the immunization. This should avoid misunderstandings.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Also try to disable the hostprotection and the live-protection into Avira for another test.

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

If you think nothing has been immunized, please make sure you have clicked on “Check system” which can be found on the navigation bar on the left. This will check for already applied immunization.

The system is still immunized when you close Spybot.
    In order to see it you just need to manually "Check System". We will improve this feature, that it will automatically do this once you open the immunization. This should avoid misunderstandings.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot
    Ah, yes, this is the issue.
    When I open Immunization, 'Protected' is all 0's.
    When I do 'Check System', 'Protected' is all filled in with the number of protections (as it should be).

This is definitely a usability issue, and I am glad you will be addressing it in future builds.

Thanks.