Thread: SDupdate hangs around

Default SDupdate hangs around

After running a update on XP Pro and updating the status bar fills to the end and just stays there. The update never finishes.

Hello,

SDUpdate can freeze up if the servers are reacting very slowly.
    This can happen the day new updates are released (usually on Wednesdays),
    when too many people try to download them at the same time.
    But Spybot 2 isn’t really freezed up, it’s just delayed.
    There are a few solutions for this problem:
    1. Wait a minute, it should be active again.
    2. You can still use the manual updater.
    Download the current one and install it, and you’ll be up-to-date.
    Here is the direct-update-link where you can reach the latest update everytime.
    Please use the Spybot 2 program folder as Destination Folder to store the update, by default:
    Windows XP: C:\Program Files\Spybot – Search & Destroy 2
    Windows Vista or Windows 7 or Windows 8: C:\Programs (x86)\Spybot – Search & Destroy 2

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

I just received a "Error retrieving update info file!" error message after Spybot updater searched for updates for a very long time. This is the first time this has ever happened. I presume there's some sort of server error. When will this problem be corrected?

Hello,

1. The error message “Error retrieving update info file” usually appears when Spybot – Search & Destroy has accidently imported bad Internet Explorer proxy settings. In this case, it helps just to disable the proxy option in Spybot 2. You can access this setting by choosing “Configure Proxy“ in the Updater menu on the left. Or you open the Spybot 2 “Start Center“ and click on “Settings“. Choose the tab “Internet Connection“. Here you can switch to “Do not use any proxy trying to access the Internet“. Now click “Apply“ and “OK“.

2. Please check your firewall.
    Most people who do not have problem #1 do have Spybot 2 accidentally blocked in their firewall.

3. If nothing else works, you can still use the manual updater.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Thank you for your prompt reply but I do not believe those are the causes of this problem. I have not changed any IE proxy or firewall settings but I will doublecheck just to be sure. BTW, I'm using Spybot 1.6.2, not 2.

Without any changes to my IE proxy or firewall settings, Spybot updater now works normally. The problem was on your server side as I suspected.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle2a View Post
    Without any changes to my IE proxy or firewall settings, Spybot updater now works normally. The problem was on your server side as I suspected.
    Maybe a problem with one mirror, as i did'nt notice this problems.

None of the mirrors/servers were displayed as the error occurred after a long delay as Spybot updater was searching (with the moving flashlight icon). It recurred several times after I reloaded SDupdate and tried again. As noted, it finally worked normally after a much longer period of time during which I posted my report.
    Last edited by Eagle2a; 2013-02-21 at 19:50.