Thread: Internet browser infected with "SelectionLinks".

Default Internet browser infected with "SelectionLinks".

Hi,

My internet browser (Google Chrome) has been infected with an extension called "SelectionLinks". It displays pop-up ads upon clicking links to other webpages and sometimes makes pieces of text on webpages turn to a link to an ad page of some kind. The ads look like they are things related to things I have searched for or looked at online so I assume that this is some sort of spyware. The enable/disable button in my extension settings in Chrome has been removed for "SelectionLinks", so I can't just disable it. I tried to uninstall it the old fashioned way by going into my Control Panel and selected the "Uninstall a program" button, but there wasn't anything called "SelectionLinks" or anything like that to be uninstalled. I ran a scan on my computer with both Spybot and MalwareBytes. Spybot caught a lot of "pup" files which I told it to remove and it did successfully, but "SelectionLinks" is still on my browser. I ran a MalwareBytes scan and it found a few things that I removed successfully, but "SelectionLinks" is still appearing in my browser's extension listings. I have found several removal tutorials for this thing in other forums that I have tried. One of which suggested removing certain files from my registry. I went into my registry to look for these files only to find that they didn't exist. I just ran another scan in Spybot and MalwareBytes just now and it came up with nothing. Also, I have Windows 7 if that helps anything. I have tried everything to try to remove this thing. Please help!

-Thank you

Hello Amanda92,

Please see the sticky which includes guidelines for this forum in post #1 and instructions in post #2 on how to provide the preliminary DDS and aswMBR logs used for analysis.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Then start a new topic providing the DDS and aswMBR logs, a volunteer analyst will advise when available.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016