Thread: Help with updates.

Default Help with updates.

I checked for updates and there were eight available.

1) Advanced detection library

2)Detection support library

3)English descriptions

4) English help

5)English help for Tea Timer

6)English language

7)Immunization data base

8) Main skins.

There were no malware updates I assume because I checked for those during install and it updated them than. In Spybot help -> about Spybot the latest detection updates are for August 18, 2006 so I am OK there.

I am not sure what some of the ones I listed are though. 7 and 8 are obvious. 4 and 5 I assume are updates to the help files. 3 and 6 I am not sure about. 1 and 2 refer to detection so I am assuming they are important for keeping my system clean with scans. Can any body explain these updates please or provide a link to some information about them. Thank You

Any one?

Answer please.

Well I downloaded all the updates now I have an up date folder full of Zip files and I have no idea what they are for. If they are of no use I would like to know so i can delete them. I think all I really needed was the detection rules update.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Re: Deleting .zip files.

Not according to spybotsandra in this thread:

Re: Original question.

If the purpose of asking is so that you can pick and choose the updates that you want to download, I strongly recommend that you download all updates presented when you do a "Search for updates" unless you are using the "Web update" settings as follows:
    • There are optional downloads that can be selected by going into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings. Under "Web update" in the options tree there are three options that present additional files for download. They are:
      • Display available beta versions.
      • Display updates for other languages.
      • Display new and updated skins.

Updates as I understand them:
    1. Advanced detection library
      • Downloads: advcheck.zip
        • Contains: advcheck.dll and install-advc.ini files.
          • Purpose: Updates the C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\advcheck.dll file.
    2. Detection support library
      • Downloads: tools.zip
        • Contains: install-tools.ini and Tools.dll files
          • Purpose: Updates the C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Tools.dll file.
    3. English descriptions
      • Downloads: desc.english.zip
        • Contains:Targets.nfo
          • Purpose: Appears to provide the information that is displayed when you highlight a detection and use the radio button to the right hand side of the results screen to display in information about the detection.
    4. English help
      • Downloads: help.english.zip
        • Contains: English.chm
          • Purpose: Provides the information for Spybot's help facility (Help toolbar menu > Help, Tutorial and Index).

• Contains: English.license.txt
          • Purpose: Provides license information within Spybot-S&D.
    5. English help for TeaTimer
      • Downloads: helpres.english.zip
        • Contains: English.Resident.chm
          • Purpose: Provides the information for TeaTimer's help facility (Question mark (?) in the pop-up dialogs).
    6. English language
      • Downloads: lang.english.zip
        • Contains: English.sbl
          • Purpose: Appears to provide the English language translations for variables within Spybot's SpybotSD.exe program and probably other pieces of Spybot.
    7. Immunization database
      • Downloads: clsid.zip
        • Contains: CLSIDs.sbs
          • Purpose: Appears to provide the CLSIDs for ActiveX processes blocked with immunization. It does not appear to provide information for either cookie blocking or restricted site entries, both of which appear to be included in the "Detection rules" update.
    8. Main skins
      • Downloads: skins.main.zip
        • Contains: Colorblind.ini
          • Purpose: Originally added a colorblind skin to the Settings > Skin menu. That skin changes some background, button and font colors.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Quote Originally Posted by md usa spybot fan View Post
    Re: Deleting .zip files.

Not according to spybotsandra in this thread:

Re: Original question.

If the purpose of asking is so that you can pick and choose the updates that you want to download, I strongly recommend that you download all updates presented when you do a "Search for updates" unless you are using the "Web update" settings as follows:
    • There are optional downloads that can be selected by going into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Settings. Under "Web update" in the options tree there are three options that present additional files for download. They are:
      • Display available beta versions.
      • Display updates for other languages.
      • Display new and updated skins.

Updates as I understand them:
    1. Advanced detection library
      • Downloads: advcheck.zip
        • Contains: advcheck.dll and install-advc.ini files.
          • Purpose: Updates the C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\advcheck.dll file.
    2. Detection support library
      • Downloads: tools.zip
        • Contains: install-tools.ini and Tools.dll files
          • Purpose: Updates the C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Tools.dll file.
    3. English descriptions
      • Downloads: desc.english.zip
        • Contains:Targets.nfo
          • Purpose: Appears to provide the information that is displayed when you highlight a detection and use the radio button to the right hand side of the results screen to display in information about the detection.
    4. English help
      • Downloads: help.english.zip
        • Contains: English.chm
          • Purpose: Provides the information for Spybot's help facility (Help toolbar menu > Help, Tutorial and Index).

• Contains: English.license.txt
          • Purpose: Provides license information within Spybot-S&D.
    5. English help for TeaTimer
      • Downloads: helpres.english.zip
        • Contains: English.Resident.chm
          • Purpose: Provides the information for TeaTimer's help facility (Question mark (?) in the pop-up dialogs).
    6. English language
      • Downloads: lang.english.zip
        • Contains: English.sbl
          • Purpose: Appears to provide the English language translations for variables within Spybot's SpybotSD.exe program and probably other pieces of Spybot.
    7. Immunization database
      • Downloads: clsid.zip
        • Contains: CLSIDs.sbs
          • Purpose: Appears to provide the CLSIDs for ActiveX processes blocked with immunization. It does not appear to provide information for either cookie blocking or restricted site entries, both of which appear to be included in the "Detection rules" update.
    8. Main skins
      • Downloads: skins.main.zip
        • Contains: Colorblind.ini
          • Purpose: Originally added a colorblind skin to the Settings > Skin menu. That skin changes some background, button and font colors.

Thank you for the that very in depth and thorough response. I will leave everything as is since it appears that they are all important updates.