Thread: Cant install spybot 2 after uninstall of 1.6

Default Cant install spybot 2 after uninstall of 1.6

Hi I've uninstalled spybot 1.6 , but get the following error when trying to install Spybot 2 please SEE Attached IMAGE.

Can you advise how to resolve this and get v2 installed.

I've run the install as an administrator on Windows Vista O/S
    rebooted run crap cleaner to clean the registry but get the message in the attached image every time I try to install.

Can any kind soul advise please.

Thank you

Kili
    Last edited by admad1; 2013-04-23 at 21:13.

That's most likely a permissions problem in the registry.
    If you click Ignore and keep going with the install,I don't think you should have any problems with Spybot after you install.
    Or,if you are familiar with regedit,I could post some instructions to try to take ownership,it's up to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    That's most likely a permissions problem in the registry.
    If you click Ignore and keep going with the install,I don't think you should have any problems with Spybot after you install.
    Or,if you are familiar with regedit,I could post some instructions to try to take ownership,it's up to you.
    Thanks Zenobia. I did try to continue but it just returns back to the error screen as per image. I am familiar with regedit so would appreciate the instructions. I couldn't work out what i needed to create a dword, string or whatever. So instruct away.

And once again thank your for your kindness.

Regards
    kili

You're welcome.
    First,make a backup just in case:Go to Start,type in regedit,when it appears in your start menu click it and then say yes to the UAC prompt,then go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHNE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog
    Rightclick Eventlog,select Export.When the Export Registry File dialog window opens,type in a name for the backup,and choose where you want to save the backup,then click Save.

Then,rightclick Eventlog,and select Permissions.See if the username that you are installing with has full control.Your username should have Administrators at the first of it.(It may look like this: Administrators(Kili-PC/Administrators),if Kili is your account name)
    If you don't have full control,then checkmark Full Control under Allow,click Apply,then OK,and then exit the registry.Try to install Spybot again,and see if the error is gone.

If anything doesn't go as expected or if my instructions are hard to follow,please post back and tell me before making any changes.

Zenobia. Thank you so much for your help and advice. The worlds a better place for having kind souls like you in it.

You da man it's all working tickity boo now.

Mank Thanks

Kili

You're welcome.