Thread: Cannot search or destroy...

Default Cannot search or destroy...

Just installed spybot on a Windows XP machine... When i first started up the program, I was asked to create a registry back-up. After clicking the button to proceed, the program stopped responding. I ctrl-alt-deleted, and tried again. Second time, didn't get prompted to create a back-up, so I went ahead and searched for problems. Nothing happened. I clicked to stop, and tried again. Got about 2000 into the botcheck, when I got a message, "User Abort! Scan not completed successfully." Got the same message again when I tried to fix the problems it was able to find before the search was halted.
    I'm sure I didn't hit any buttons or do anything to cause the error myself. I think this could be a problem w/ the computer, seeing as I have used S&D many times on a Windows ME machine w/ no problems. However, I'm having trouble finding a solution. Any suggestions or possible causes would be greatly appreciated!

hello
    Please have a look at this post,and see if it helps:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...72&postcount=3

Actually,on stopping Spybot,then starting another scan,I got an user abort message after the second scan had started.I'm afraid I mis-read your post the first time,also.
    How long did nothing happen when you started the scan?On mine,Spybot sometimes takes a little bit to start,and then it will display Unknown at first in the lower left-hand corner before the progress bar really gets going,until it gets into the running-botcheck.
    I'd say,try doing a Spybot scan again,and see if it runs all the way through this time.
    (Also,my apologies. :blush: )
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2006-08-25 at 08:04.