Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spybot S&D 2.0.12 will not update

Default Spybot S&D 2.0.12 will not update

I cannot get one of my machines to process updates for Spybot S&D 2.0.12. The machine in question runs W7x64 and Norton 360 Premier Edition in addition to Spybot. My other two machines both run W7 (one x86, the other x64) with Norton 360 and have no problems processing updates. The only difference between the two machines that work and the one that does not that I can identify so far is that the one that does not has multiple user profiles, whereas the others have only a single user. I have executed the following tasks to date without success:

1) uninstalled and reinstalled S&D 2.0
    2) run Norton 360 and Malwarbytes anti-Malware to check for any rootkits / other problems.

Manual updates seem to process correctly, but I would not like to depend on a manual process to update S&D.

I have looked at the update log files, but all that shows is that the process starts to listen on the appropriate port, lists the updates, then does nothing else. I have let the process run for up to 10 hours straight without any updates processing. On the machines that work, they then process updates and apply them.

Please advise next steps and what documentation / log files you need to assist with troubleshooting this issue.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Hello,

Did you click on the "Update" button in the Updater itself and not just opened it or click on "Check Status"? (See screenshot)
    "Check status" only tells you which files are up to date and if they have been downloaded correctly. "Update" actually offers new files and downloads them.

This has also been discussed in this thread.

Further did you open the Updater with a right click and choose "run as administrator"?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Sandra (or Spybotsandra, whichever you prefer )

First, thanks for getting back to me.

Yes, I did select update from both the button on the bottom RH side, the menu option on the left hand side, and the notification area Icon.

I have also selected or preset "run as administrator" for the main program as well as the updates.

Regardless of what option I select, I get the pop-up window shown in the first attached pdf document. I have also attached my update log file for your review as well. The main screen still shows as "No Update Attempted Registered" (second attached pdf document).I can install manual updates, but after the last update am still short two files (see third attached pdf document).

I have checked to confirm that the Spybot update program is set to allow in Norton 360.

I have also followed the steps recommended in the thread you referred to without success. It looks I may be impacted by the fix in progress mentioned on the 2nd page of that thread.

Please advise next steps.

Thanks again for your help to date. I have been and still am a happy Spybot S&D user since it first came out.

Chuck
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hello,

Please remove GoodBankScripts and X509White manually from here:
    C:\Programs (x86)\Spybot - Search & Destroy 2\Updates\Extracts
    Then search again for updates.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Spybot Sandra,

these files were not in the extracts folder you referred to; I removed them from the includes folder (where I did find a copy), and still ended up with the same results (i.e. two files need updating, but nothing happens after that point. The extract from the updates log follows:

SDUpdSvc.exe [2013-05-07 10:15:54] [+] Background Updating Service got started...
    SDUpdSvc.exe [2013-05-07 10:15:54] 0.0.0.0 Successfully started listening on port 21331.
    SDUpdate.exe [2013-05-07 10:22:00] [+] Updating Service is active.
    SDUpdate.exe [2013-05-07 10:22:00] [.] Trying to retrieve update info file from http://updates2.safer-networking.org/spybotsd2.uid...
    SDUpdate.exe [2013-05-07 10:22:00] [+] Retrieved update info file.
    SDUpdate.exe [2013-05-07 10:22:00] [.] Info file part done.
    SDUpdate.exe [2013-05-07 10:22:07] Includes\GoodBankScripts.sbs is missing and will be installed on next update.
    SDUpdate.exe [2013-05-07 10:22:10] Includes\X509White.sbs is missing and will be installed on next update.

Based on what has happened in the past, I am assuming that the files will be replaced when I download the manual updates again this Friday, but they will probably still be the outdated versions.

Based on what has happened so far, I have two questions for you:

1) does the free license cover only single user systems?
    2) can one change what server one gets updates from (i.e. from a safer-networking.org server to another server)? If so, how?

Thanks,

Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Chuck View Post
    Based on what has happened so far, I have two questions for you:

1) does the free license cover only single user systems?
    2) can one change what server one gets updates from (i.e. from a safer-networking.org server to another server)? If so, how?

Thanks,

Chuck
    1. with the free licence you can install and use spybot on only one computer, this means only single user system

2. no you cannot change the server in Spybot 2.0

לשונות רעות שנפגעו שלוש פעמים: למי שמדבר, שדברו עליהם ומי שמקשיב.

שלום

bbnetwork (or spybotsandra),

First, bbnetwork, thanks for your response.

To confirm my understanding of your reply:

1) with respect to the free version of spybot S&D, it will update correctly only on a single user system (e.g. a single pc that has only one login / userid set up for it). It does not update correctly on a single pc that has multiple users / logins set up (e.g one for a parent, one for a each kid, one for a guest, one for an in-law, etc., ).

Will the paid version work in the second case above (i.e. a single pc with multiple users/logins)?

2) The update server cannot be changed.

Are you locked in then to obtaining updates from the server / download location you downloaded the application from?

Thanks again for all your help.

Chuck

1) with respect to the free version of spybot S&D, it will update correctly only on a single user system (e.g. a single pc that has only one login / userid set up for it). It does not update correctly on a single pc that has multiple users / logins set up (e.g one for a parent, one for a each kid, one for a guest, one for an in-law, etc., ).

Will the paid version work in the second case above (i.e. a single pc with multiple users/logins)?
    Here you did misunderstand something! I never sayed, that the free version of spybot S&D will update correctly only on a single user system or that it does not update correctly on a single pc that has multiple users.

Also the free version of Spybot S&D will update correctly on a single pc that has multiple users.
    The free version of Spybot only needs to be installed for all the useres itself, because each copy has a licence for one user only.

But you are only allowed to use the free version of Spybot on a single-pc, you are not allowed to use the free version in a network etc.

2) The update server cannot be changed.

Are you locked in then to obtaining updates from the server / download location you downloaded the application from?
    There is no login or registration needed to update!

The Spybot-Update-Wizzard automaticly connects to the official Spybot-Server, checks the files and downloads the needed updates.

לשונות רעות שנפגעו שלוש פעמים: למי שמדבר, שדברו עליהם ומי שמקשיב.

שלום

Hello,

This might get a little confusing here.

Your update problem has nothing to do with what version of Spybot you run - if it's free or not.
    The issue is if you have multiple users you have to update from the admin account or update with admin rights.

If it's for private use you can also run the free version of Spybot on a home network.
    But with the Home Edition this might be easier because the updates are automated, as it comes with scheduling options.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

This might get a little confusing here.

Your update problem has nothing to do with what version of Spybot you run - if it's free or not.
    The issue is if you have multiple users you have to update from the admin account or update with admin rights.

If it's for private use you can also run the free version of Spybot on a home network.
    But with the Home Edition this might be easier because the updates are automated, as it comes with scheduling options.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot
    Sandra and Bbnetwork.

First, thank you both for replies, they were very useful in confirming my understanding of what is going on with the machine in question.

BBNetwork, your clarifications lead me to believe (along with Sandra's comment) that I am impacted by the thread that Sandra mentioned previously (i.e. they are aware of an issue ( http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=67204 ) and have a fix in progress).

Sandra, I am running all updates from an administrator account (mine) and have set S&D to "run as administrator" when it starts up. Even taking those steps, I am still not receiving updates.

Is there anything else I can do / information I can provide besides wait for the fix mentioned later in that thread (see below)

Hello,

We are sorry for the inconvenience. This item has been reported to our development team. A fix will not be available in an update but in a next version upgrade. There is no release date yet, as we are still working on it.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Thanks again to both of you for all your help.

Chuck