Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Error during check!: Win32.Autorun.cfto

Default Error during check!: Win32.Autorun.cfto

When I run Spybot - Search & Destroy version: 1.6.2 (build: 20090126) (Win 98SE) with the latest definitions I receive the following error:

--- Search result list ---
    Error during check!: Win32.Autorun.cfto [1 - $759C99D9] (TRegExpr(comp): *+ Operand Could Be Empty (pos 1)) (Status)

Am I infected with this malware? How should I proceed?

Hello,

I am very sorry, but the problem seems to be related to a 15 year old operating system.

Since Microsoft has also stopped supporting such old Windows versions you should probably be considering either an upgrade or taking that PC out of service as soon as possible. Once Security updates are no longer available it becomes impossible for any security software to truly protect an operating system effectively.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default Re: Error during check!: Win32.Autorun.cfto

While I agree with your statement, it is not a solution. The problem is that Spybot may have detected some malware but is unable to process it properly. Since Spybot 1.6 is still available on your website, the proper solution is to fix the detection method used. Is my system infected with this malware or is this a false positive? Help please!!!

If you no longer wish to support this version then do NOT allow downloads of it from your website.

Hello,

That is no infection, as nothing was found in the scan.
    It is just an "Error during check" where the scan could not process this item.

There won't be any program changes or development in version 1.6.2 anymore as this is an old version.
    Spybot 2.0 and 2.1 have already been released.
    I'm sure you understand that we can't keep developing old versions anymore when new ones are already out there and available to use.

Not to mention the 15 year old operating system that is likely causing this problem.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Thank you for the clarification on the error. I confirmed you conclusion by manually inspecting my system per the instructions on http://corby1.rssing.com/browser.php?indx=1706569&item=1968.

I understand the reasoning for not doing further development on an old version but I would have thought that any new definitions downloaded via that version would be compatible with that version. However, since I do not know the scan mechanism that logic could be flawed. Thanks again for the followup.

Hello,

The new definitions are compatible with the old Spybot version 1.6.2.
    It's the old PC which seems to have problems with this part of the scan.
    You won't get this error running 1.6.2 on Windows XP, Vista or 7.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Default win32.autorun error.

i just got this error after my update this morning. I have a 3 year old PC running Vista. Is this malware? How do I get rid of it?
    Thank you

Hello,

Which version of Spybot do you run?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Hi,
    sorry 1.6.2.46
    Last edited by reader; 2013-06-05 at 15:00.

Default The problem is *not* OS-related

Hi Sandra. I have the exact same problem this morning on a 64-bit Windows 7 workstation patched and up-to-date.

Exact error is:

Error during check!: Win32.Autorun.cfto [1 - $95CE1D85] (TRegExpr(comp): *+ Operand Could Be Empty (pos 1)) (Status)

It appears about 1/20th of the way into the scan.

Spybot version is:

1.6.2 (build: 20090126)

Please advise.

Thanks --

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

I am very sorry, but the problem seems to be related to a 15 year old operating system.

Since Microsoft has also stopped supporting such old Windows versions you should probably be considering either an upgrade or taking that PC out of service as soon as possible. Once Security updates are no longer available it becomes impossible for any security software to truly protect an operating system effectively.

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot
    -----
    If I had been paid for every hour I wasted researching something which was wrong on a computer, you'd called me "Sir" by now - sigh -