Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exception EAccess Violation on File Scan closing

Default Exception EAccess Violation on File Scan closing

I have just installed a new version of Spybot 2.1.18 on my Dell Inspiron laptop running Windows Home Basic SP2. It looks like everything important works fine. There is one detail that keeps bothering me. If I run a System Scan - everything is perfectly fine, from the moment of opening the Scan, running it and to the moment of closing its window. However, when I run File Scan - it opens and runs fine (just waaay too slow), but on closing of the Scan window I get the message: "Scan stopped working" and then a message from Windows: "Exception EAccess Violation in module rtl150.bpl of 0000000. Access Violation of address 0000000." All windows will be closed, but the process would still be running - so I have to kill it in Task Manager. It happens all the time, without exceptions, no matter how I open the File Scan - right-click Context Menu, Start Menu or from the Start Center. Can somebody explain to me what is happening and how to fix it? Thanks.

Hello,

Maybe the files you are scanning with the File Scan are too much.
    What exactly do you scan?
    A whole drive?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Quote Originally Posted by spybotsandra View Post
    Hello,

Maybe the files you are scanning with the File Scan are too much.
    What exactly do you scan?
    A whole drive?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot
    Well, Sandra. If I want to scan an entire drive, I would use a System Scan, wouldn't I? Plus, I don't think that I would live long enough for the File Scan to finish scanning the entire drive. I was usually trying to scan a small folder with half a dozen files in it. But even scanning a single 30 Kb office file or 20 Kb PDF would have the same result. Do you think 30 Kb is too much for the File Scan to handle? It is certainly not related to the size of the scanned folder or file. The File Scan does not crash during the scan itself. It goes through scanning just fine. It is after the scan, exactly when I try to close the File Scan window the problem occurs - the Message that program stopped working and the subsequent "Exception EAccess Violation". Any ideas?

Hello,

Does this error also come up if you wait till the scan has finished and then choose "Tasks - Exit" from the menubar above?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Hello,

Does this error also come up if you wait till the scan has finished and then choose "Tasks - Exit" from the menubar above?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Yes, anyway I try to close the File Scan window after the scan is finished - I get the message "The program stopped working", and then after I close this popup window or click "Close the program" inside it I get from Windows Vista the Exception EAccess Violation error. It includes choosing "Task - Exit", clicking on the "X", or right-clicking in the Task Bar and choosing "Close". And it does not matter whether I close the Spybot Start window first or leave it open. The only way I don't get the error message is if I go to the Task Manager and kill the process in there.

By the way, I don't even have to do the scan. I can simply open the File Scan window and then close it without scanning anything, and would get the same error message. The scan itself, when I perform it, works just fine and runs through the end. Kind of slow though as I mentioned. So, the functionality of the scan is not impeded. The issue is that process underlying File Scan can not be normally closed. I even tried to run it both as a user and as an administrator and starting it directly from Spybot folder - the same result. I have no idea what it wants.
    Last edited by Spyuser; 2013-05-29 at 12:51.

Hello,

Have you already tried an uninstall and then a fresh installation?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

Hello,

Have you already tried an uninstall and then a fresh installation?

Best regards
    Sandra
    Team Spybot

I am not going to kill myself over this problem. I don't use the File Scanner that much anyway. So, I am not going to uninstall the Spybot, clean up my computer with all my current settings and then re-instal it again in the hope that something will change. Unless somebody with a technical knowledge of the program and Windows OS suggest me a specific solution, I am going to wait for the next update and see whether it will cure the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyuser View Post
    I am not going to kill myself over this problem. [...] So, I am not going to uninstall the Spybot, clean up my computer with all my current settings and then re-instal it again in the hope that something will change.
    Sandra only suggested to peform a clean Installation of Spybot, not the whole OS!

Uninstalling Spybot, cleaning the Spybot-Program-Folder, reboot, install Spybot again - this is'nt much work and you dont loose any important settings!

Quote Originally Posted by Spyuser View Post
    The File Scan does not crash during the scan itself. It goes through scanning just fine. It is after the scan, exactly when I try to close the File Scan window the problem occurs - the Message that program stopped working and the subsequent "Exception EAccess Violation". Any ideas?
    Do you have any other Security-Software installed?

Did you try, closing all open Tasks, before starting the scan?
    Last edited by bbnetwork; 2013-05-30 at 12:17.

לשונות רעות שנפגעו שלוש פעמים: למי שמדבר, שדברו עליהם ומי שמקשיב.

שלום

Quote Originally Posted by bbnetwork View Post
    Uninstalling Spybot, cleaning the Spybot-Program-Folder, reboot, install Spybot again - this is'nt much work and you dont loose any important settings!

I will also have to clean my Registry from all remaining Spybot entries and files left in the AppData folder for the clean re-installation to work. And I will loose all my SpyBot settings.

However, you are totally correct. It is not that much work. I guess what makes me really reluctant to do so is the fact that Spybot actually works fine for me now. I can do Immunizations and System scanning without any problems - and that is what I actually need from Spybot (I do not use real-time protection). So, everything is functioning well, and the only problem that I have is that annoying error message when I close the File Scan window. The File Scan itself also works fine, and I don't use it much anyway. And if you re-install - there is no guarantee that something else (more important) would not go wrong. The bottom line is that it is not worth the risk. And yes, I do have several AV programs/scanners installed on my computer. And I am not going to remove them. And I do not think that they are the problem here - the Spybot functioning is not impaired after all, just a minor miscommunication with Windows Vista Explorer during closing of the File Scan window.

I was hoping for a quick simple fix for this specific issue, if there was one. But otherwise, I will just keep using Spybot, and will see if the next update will cure this problem. Thank you for your replies.

PS: I always close all my programs and tasks before I do the scan.
    Last edited by Spyuser; 2013-05-30 at 22:27.

Default Re-Installation didn't help

Well, eventually I have decided to go ahead with re-installation. I have removed the Spybot, rebooted computer, cleaned up all files and folders that were left, and some Registry items I could get to, and then Installed it again. It took me some time to get it to my previous configuration. Unfortunately it didn't change a thing. Everything is working as before, and closing of the File Scan causes the same "Excetion EAccess Violation" in Windows. It appears to be that something is wrong with the design of a File Scan - how it interacts with Vista during its termination. Any specific ideas how to fix it (other than re-installing again or removing all other AV software)? Thanks.