Thread: MSE and spybot running simultaneously?

Default MSE and spybot running simultaneously?

Can Spybot (free version) and Microsoft Security Essentials run together, on the same machine, is it healthy, or necessary? ( I apologize if this is not in the correct area of the forums)

I am in between av programs atm, so I was using MSE for an interim program. I have used PC DR for years, but they are making some career changes and will no longer provide av services, and are moving all their customers to Nortons. I was not happy about that, so I checked into good av software and found BidDefender, paid for it, dl it and I was not happy with it at all.

I think I have a virus on my machine. The only av software that found anything was MSE, the second day it was running, and the virus it found was Blacole. However, in the process of me trying to tell MSE to remove that virus, something, maybe the virus, stopped MSE and wouldn't let me turn it back on.

Anyway, it's been h*ll, but I finally got MSE to work again, BUT, it seems to not be TRULY running, like it's giving me false info. So, I dl spybot, ran it, and now I am having strange things happen....maybe because I have MSE running too?? I don't want to have to worry about this stuff lol I just want to PAY and have confidence.

I need some help. I would LOVE to just BUY some av software and be DONE and no longer worried about my system, as I had been for many years with PC DR. I paid every year, they made sure things were good.

Is that no longer possible? What do you guys think I need to do now? I would be happy to purchase this software, but I feel I got burned by the last purchase of BidDefender, a month or so ago, and I fear just having to keep moving on to other vendors and not feeling protected.

calmincense
    Last edited by calmincense; 2013-07-15 at 02:09. Reason: may have put the thread in the wrong place, if so sorry

Hello calmincense,

Quote Originally Posted by calmincense View Post
    I think I have a virus on my machine. The only av software that found anything was MSE, the second day it was running, and the virus it found was Blacole. However, in the process of me trying to tell MSE to remove that virus, something, maybe the virus, stopped MSE and wouldn't let me turn it back on.

Anyway, it's been h*ll, but I finally got MSE to work again, BUT, it seems to not be TRULY running, like it's giving me false info. So, I dl spybot, ran it, and now I am having strange things happen....maybe because I have MSE running too??
    By the description the symptoms could be caused by an infected computer.

For someone to take a look at the system please start a topic in the Malware Removal Forum and a volunteer analyst will advise when available.

First see that forum's FAQ which also includes instructions in post #2 on how to provide DDS and aswMBR logs, which are used in the preliminary analysis.
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought maybe I had posted in the wrong area.

I read the "MUST READ" notes of that thread, it's very intimidating, lol and I don't really understand what I need to do prior to posting, BUT I'm gonna take a shot and just plead for guidance.

•Download ERUNT The Emergency Recovery Utility NT Registry Backup and Restore for Windows NT/2000/2003/XP/Vista
    I am not sure what they mean by that ERUNT and I am running win 7, not any of the os they list....do I still need to run that before I post?

Hi there,
    I am not sure what they mean by that ERUNT and I am running win 7, not any of the os they list....do I still need to run that before I post?
    No you don't.

If you cannot use ERUNT or it doesn't support your operating system please let us know in your first post so the responder can link you to a different backup utility.
    Cheers.

lol oops guess I read thru the info too fast.

sawzzz

but now it seems my post was deleted, so i'm assuming that I went about the whole thing improperly.

maybe I need a more 'user friendly' or a "AV for DUMMIES" lmao software

I'll try to repost later

thanks tashi for your assistance

Hello calmincense,

l
    but now it seems my post was deleted, so i'm assuming that I went about the whole thing improperly.
    No worries, the two posts were moved as a duplicate of your topic here and the FAQ for the malware forum requests one post containing the logs.