Thread: Portable Spybot S&D on USB stick?

Default Portable Spybot S&D on USB stick?

A family member has a laptop with a problem. None of the Administrator account settings can be used or changed so it will not allow installation or removal of any software! So I need to run some checks for viruses or spyware or rootkits, etc from a USB stick plugged into the laptop without having to install it onto the computer's disks.

Is that possible and how do I set up the software onto the USB stick from my own laptop (that already runs SpybotS&D on its hard disk). I have downloaded the latest version of Spybot for the purpose.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I've never used it myself,but this might be useful to you:
    http://portableapps.com/apps/security/spybot_portable
    There are instructions here:
    http://portableapps.com/support/portable_app#downloading
    This is some more info on portable apps in general:
    http://portableapps.com/about/what_is_a_portable_app
    There's also a review at Cnet,which sort of walks you through using the app,as well:
    http://download.cnet.com/Spybot-Search-Destroy-Portable/3000-18514_4-75331484.html

Thanks Zenobia, I'll check out those links.

I already use it extensively on our home PCs (three running Windows and we have 2 others using Ubuntu) so am used to how to use it when it is installed, but the problem on the family member's PC makes it impossible to install it. Hence the need to run it as a 'portable' application.

Thanks for your advice. I'll let you know how we get on. I'm still interested if others have helpful ideas as well.

You're welcome.
    When trying to install software before on the problem laptop,were they getting any error messages or anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    You're welcome.
    When trying to install software before on the problem laptop,were they getting any error messages or anything?
    I've successfully downloaded as you suggest and installed it, plus Clamwin and Kaspersky anti-rootkit, onto a USB stick. I've run them to update any data or signature files, so I'm hoping they will help examine the errant laptop.

As for error messages, yes. When trying to install a census data viewer, which was the whole point of recent visits, we got errors stating that some files could not be installed because C:\Windows\System32 was set to read only and the user (Admin) did not have permission to write to that directory! The system would not allow Admin to change those permissions! As far as my researches go, that is one indicator of a potential virus (it prevents the installation and running of an AV system that might find the virus!). There are also stories of some Dell laptops having a faulty image applied as while back - just when this Dell laptop was made! So it could be either, or something else entirely. Shan't know until we try the portable AV approach first.

I've been told this evening that they've now lost WiFi connectivity as well! All very worrying. Don't want to get stuck with doing a new install as the Dell is only supplied with an image CD that may have the same permissions problem! Or it may not? (I'll have to try looking into the .iso and see what permissions are preset.)

Thanks for the help.

As far as my researches go, that is one indicator of a potential virus (it prevents the installation and running of an AV system that might find the virus).
    Yes,it can be.
    If you don't mind my asking,what operating system is the laptop?
    And,when rightclicking any programs that are already installed on the laptop,is "Run as Administrator" greyed out?

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    Yes,it can be.
    If you don't mind my asking,what operating system is the laptop?
    And,when rightclicking any programs that are already installed on the laptop,is "Run as Administrator" greyed out?
    They are using Windows 7 Home as installed by Dell and updated by Microsoft Update.

The Run as Admin is not greyed out and has been tried, with the same results and error messages! All previously installed applications, such as MS Office, work as expected from user and Admin accounts. But any attempt to install anything new causes the error messages to be shown for any attempt to install any file(s) into System32.

Thanks again

Sorry to be nosy,but I'm kind of curious,plus I'm trying to get a general sense of it all,because I wish to try to help.So I kind of asked quite a few questions.
    Is the program trying to be installed supposed to install to C:\Windows\System32 by default,or by user choice?
    If it is user choice,then is this Windows 7 a 32 or 64 bit operating system?That shouldn't affect UAC,I don't believe,but please see here for general info:
    http://www.samlogic.net/articles/32-...6-syswow64.htm

Windows 7 is a bit touchy about it's System32 folder.When I checked on mine(Windows 7 Home edition),I am allowed to create a new folder in System32,but creating a new file doesn't seem to be an option.I can cut and paste a file to there,when I run as admin.
    Though I did check,and I was able to install a program to C:\Windows\System32 without any errors or warnings on my own laptop,so the error messages the laptop owner are getting do seem a bit strange.Though I did get a UAC prompt when running the installer for the program I chose,and I'm not sure if that would make a difference or not.

Is the program that is causing the trouble an older program?Is it possible for it to be installed in a place other than C:\Windows\System32,or does it try to install to there by default?

Are any other programs able to be installed to the C:\Program Files (x86) or C:\Program Files(whichever is applicable) without any errors?

All previously installed applications, such as MS Office, work as expected from user and Admin accounts.
    Do any of these get any error messages when rightclicked and Run As Administator?

Programs are installed to C:\Program Files\ but it is usual for some elements to be installed into System32, such as required DLL files.

The program wanted is a Resource Viewer for a Census data set, originally release in 1999 and since updated. (It installs correctly on my own XP Pro laptop plus my VMs running W7 Home Premium, W7 Pro and W8.1 Pro Preview)

The affected laptop is running 32-bit W7 Home. No UAC message are seen when trying to run the install, either as a user with Admin rights or as Admin.

All attempts to install a program have been met with the System32 problem when they try to add a resource there, the main program files are always installed into C:\Program Files\ by design and by choice.

Programs already installed run as normal apart from the McAfee AV that gives one warning about updating (it was done immediately prior to running) but no errors though it doesn't report any viruses, etc. I'm a bit suspicious as it only takes 3 minutes to run!

I shall be visiting them tomorrow armed with several portable applications, including Spybot and two different AV programs, one of which runs from a boot CD so freeing up the current installed files and discs completely.

Does that give any further clues?

Yes,thank you.

I did find some references to Mcafee antivirus using a whitelist that makes the scan quicker,though some of what I read was dated(from around 2011).Three minutes does seem to be an extremely quick scan,though,I agree.

If the Resource Viewer is a relatively trusted program,you could try rightclicking the installer and running it as administrator,just to see what happens.

As old-fashioned as it is,I usually take a pen and paper with me if looking at a computer anywhere else than home,and write down error messages word for word.It's just sometimes easier to look for the error messages on google at home,and go back later if I find anything out.I haven't found anything on the error messages they've gotten so far.If there are any,you could post them here if you'd like to,maybe I'll find something.

And if you don't mind me still being nosy,let me know how the antivirus and other scans go.