Thread: Unwanted Ads

Unhappy Unwanted Ads

Spybot: Version: 2.2.18.0
    Malware Scanner: 2.2.18.177
    Firefox: 25
    IE: 10

I backed up my registry via erunt.

Problem:

My firefox is generating too many ads. They pop up in numerous locations, on webpages. After I click my screen 2 or 3 times, a new tab opens and advises me to download a either a java update or a new media player. On its own, the screen will occasionally just change to one of those unwanted ads and I can only get back to the original screen via the "go back" button.

Initially, I fell for one of the ads, downloaded and installed a file, called java.exe.

At the end of the installation, a webpage said: "Oops! The program did not do what you thought it was doing." Or something like that.

As a result of the increasing problems, I ran Spybot three times. The first time, it found 171 "results". I had them "fixed", but the problems quickly returned.

So, shortly afterward, I ran Spybot, again.

This time, however, the program found 22 "results". I also had them "fixed", but, again, the problems quickly returned.

So, I ran Spybot, again. This time, it found 21 "results". I also had them "fixed", but, again, the problems quickly returned.

So, then I made Microsoft's Security Essentials take several hours doing a "full scan".

Well, this program found numerous moderate-severe problems. So, I had them removed.

Unfortunately, the ads are gradually re-appearing.

Help!

- r

Hello ramping,

Did you elevate Administrator permissions in Spybot before running a scan? As so: How can I get administrator rights under Windows Vista / Windows 7 / Windows 8?

If you already did and the problems remain, in order for someone to advise please see the forum sticky which includes guidelines and instructions in post #2 on how to provide the preliminary DDS and aswMBR logs used for analysis.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Then start a new topic providing the logs as shown in that sticky with a link back to this thread and a volunteer analyst will advise when available.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016