Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: bad checksum on all servers can't download 2013-11-27 update file

Ok, I think I may have a workaround for this problem.

I have a program named URL Snooper that allows me to track all traffic going in and out of my computer.

So, what I did was open URL Snooper.

Then I opened Spybot, and tried to download the '2013-11-27 Detection Rules: Update' from the Safer-Networking #1 (Europe) server.

Then I went back to URL Snooper to see where the updater was trying to download from.

The link listed was http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates/files/includes.zip, which is the link for the latest Includes zip file.

I then pasted that link back into Internet Explorer, and saved the zip file to my Desktop.

You don't have to get URL Snooper and go through the steps that I did to find that link. All that you have to do is put the http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates/files/includes.zip link into your browser, or just click on the link on this page, and download the file to your Desktop.

Now, click on the zip file, go to the File menu up above, and choose 'Extract All'. This will extract all of the files in the zip folder to a folder named 'Includes' on your Desktop.

Ok, now find where you installed Spybot. It's most likely in the Program Files folder under:

C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy

or something like that, if you didn't install it in another location.

Now, inside the Spybot - Search & Destroy folder, find the 'Includes' folder and make a copy of it, that way if anything goes wrong, you can restore the files that you currently have.

Now, go back to the folder named 'Includes' on your Desktop, and copy all of the files inside the folder.

Then, go back to the folder named 'Includes' in the Spybot - Search & Destory folder, and paste the files into the folder.

WARNING!! DO NOT take the folder named 'Includes' on the Desktop and just drop it in the Spybot - Search & Destory folder, thinking it will replace the 'Includes' folder properly. It won't. You must copy the files inside the 'Includes' folder on the Desktop, and paste them inside the 'Includes' folder in the Spybot - Search & Destory folder.

Once you do this you will get a 'Confirm File Replace' warning message. Click 'Yes to All'.

You will now have the most current Detection Rules Updates installed.

Now, start Spybot, and click on the Immunize button, to update the immunization, and you're all done.

NOTE: You will have to close all browser windows before starting and immunizing Spybot, including the one you are using to read this post.

I don't know why, but there seems to be a problem with the Spybot Updater, not wanting to link to the download site and download the file, and then you get a "bad checksum" error. If you go directly to the download link, like I have showed you, it downloads fine, but then you have to manually install it, like we did, which is a pain, but at least possible.

Hope this helps everybody.

Good luck.

A couple little side notes:

The most recently updated files, in the zip file, were dated 12/03/2013 2:59 PM, so the download is not for 11/27/2013, but actually more up to date.

And, since we updated the 'Includes' folder manually', the update is not reflected in the program under 'Info & License'. It will still show the date of the last update that you made through the Updater.

Another thing that I got to thinking about was that Safer-Networking Limited might be blocking the Spybot Updater from downloading the files from the download server until they are ready to release them, so you might not want to perform the steps that I previously described. Just wait until they release the files to the Updater.

If you already performed the steps that I described earlier, then you should have made a backup copy of the 'Includes' folder.

Just delete the 'Includes' folder that you updated, and replace it with the backup copy that you made, then start Spybot, and immunize it again.