Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Please Help Remove Windows Security Master

Default Uhhhhh?????

'm having a moment of confusion!!!

I was about to 'fix checked' items with HJT, but it said it was going to DELETE them!

Aren't those three things I WANT TO KEEP???
    And get rid of all the OTHER junk in there????

Security Expert-emeritus Juliet's Avatar

Thank you so much

Open HijackThis, Click Do a system scan only, checkmark these. Then close all other windows and browsers except HijackThis and press fix checked.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] sttray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Launcher] %WINDIR%\SMINST\launcher.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe

Reboot the computer to set the registry.
    these are optional removals, doesn't delete anything. It removes it from your startup/bootup list on the computer.
    Plus it makes a backup if you decide later to place it back.
    These items can be used by opening the program and running what needs to be done at that time.

Also, you can use this tool

If you don't know some programs listed there or unsure if they are needed or not, leave them enabled, or use RubberDucky's StartUpLite

This will display all unnecessary startup entries - so actually, everything it displays there is not necessary to start up with Windows.
    The choice is up to you whether you need some to start up with Windows (in that case, select "No action" for them) - but you can always start them manually via start > all programs.
    (Do not choose the "Remove" checkboxes, because this will delete it from the Registry - only select the "Remove" checkboxes if you are sure you don't want to enable them again in the future)
    Last edited by Juliet; 2014-02-07 at 21:52.
    Windows Insider MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2017
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

OK I'll quit fussing over all those things in there.

Since I switched the default browser to Firefox a window said I needed to update to the latest flash player (to play a video clip). I saw in control panel's Programs and Features Flash Player 12 was in there, although I could not find it in the all program menu. I checked FF add-ons and saw Firefox had a Quick Time plugin. Aren't they sort of the same thing. Do I have to have one of each?

Other than all the homework I've assigned myself to read all your preventive measures and to get the antivirus installed, I feel REALLY GOOD about how well the computer is running!

Is it good to go from your point of view?

Robin

Quote Originally Posted by MTnestRobin View Post
    OK I'll quit fussing over all those things in there.

Since I switched the default browser to Firefox a window said I needed to update to the latest flash player (to play a video clip). I saw in control panel's Programs and Features Flash Player 12 was in there, although I could not find it in the all program menu. I checked FF add-ons and saw Firefox had a Quick Time plugin. Aren't they sort of the same thing. Do I have to have one of each?

Other than all the homework I've assigned myself to read all your preventive measures and to get the antivirus installed, I feel REALLY GOOD about how well the computer is running!

Robin
    Please don't browse the internet without an antivirus, thats not safe.

On the open Firefox page, look to the upper left corner, click on the Firefox button, go over to the right and click on HELP....go down and click on ABOUT Firefox, this will check to to see you have the latest version.

I think QuickTime is used on the computer to view wma files you've downloaded, but I stand to be corrected, Flash is used for online viewing....?
    http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ <== flashplayer check, which version you have
    http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ <==here, when updating uncheck McAfee security scan. If you receive a pop up to update I would rather you go to this site for that. I see no problem with having both on the computer. Think prevention first since so many of those are bogus.
    I know that Microsoft does updates for QuickTime so that might be the difference.

Let me add that on my personal computer I have installed:
    MyWot <== important for those who do Google searches
    NoScript (Java)<== addon in Firefox It is required for my online banking. It places a small box to the bottom of the web page, if the site isn't working or if it says Java is required, click on the box and scroll to temporarily allow this page.
    AdBlocker <== addon in Firefox

feel REALLY GOOD about how well the computer is running!

tiz music to my ears, yes, your good to go!
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Glad we could help.

Since this issue appears resolved ... this Topic is closed.