Thread: Father's computer with virus, Chrome is down

Default Father's computer with virus, Chrome is down

Hello.

My parents got a new computer. it had windows 8 first, but they hated it so they got someone to reformat and put windows 7 on it. After a bit of use, it has contracted a few viruses. All I know for now is that internet explorer is slow and probably has toolbars. Google chrome has stopped working (they prefer chrome). And the computer itself is pretty much unusable. I don't know anything else yet, but I got my father to run DDS and aswMBR on it and send me the logs.

I don't have the computer with me, but I'll be picking up the computer on the 4th or so. I was hoping that until then the logs would be helpful to look at.
    I can describe any problems I see further once I get the computer in front of me.

I don't really know what thye did to get it, but knowing my parents, a bad toolbar was probably involved.

Once I get it over here, I'd have find a way to post logs onto this forum. in that regard:
    please let me know if burning the logfiles onto a CD to send to my good computer might spread the viruses.
    or if plugging a lan cable from the bad computer into the router could contaminate my computer or router
    or any other methods of transmission I should worry about.

My apologies about the log files. My father copied the text into an email as one big go. I don't know where one file ends and another begins, so i'm attaching it in one big thing. I also don't know if he has all three files there. let me know if I have more to do before we start.logfiles.zip

the logfiles should be in the attached rtf, all as one big thing.

Emeritus-Security Expert

The logs you submitted were hard to read, all of the tools and scans we use create logs in Notepad. What I would do is use your good computer to download the programs and tools we need and then transfer that tool or program to the infected one via a usb flash drive, then copy the log in notepad and copy and paste that to the usb drive and then post it in this forum.

Run these in the order listed please

-AdwCleaner-by Xplode

Click on this link to download : ADWCleaner
    Click on ONE of the Two Blue Download Now buttons That have a blue arrow beside them and save it to your desktop.

Do not click on any links in the top Advertisement.

• Close all open programs and internet browsers.
    • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
    • Click on Scan.
    • After the scan is complete click on "Clean"
    • Confirm each time with Ok.
    • Your computer will be rebooted automatically. A text file will open after the restart.
    • Please post the content of that logfile with your next reply.
    • You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

==================================

Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
    • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
    • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
    • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
    • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
    • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
    • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.
    Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013-2014

ERROR MESSAGE 386
    No KeyBoard Detected
    Press F1 To Continue

Just a reminder that threads will be closed if no reply in 3 days.

Emeritus-Security Expert

Hi, forum policy we close threads if no response in 3 days, you said you would be back on the 4th and i keep this thread open for you and its now the 7th, do you still need help ?

ERROR MESSAGE 386
    No KeyBoard Detected
    Press F1 To Continue

Emeritus-Security Expert

Due to inactivity, this thread will now be closed.

If it has been three days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a new DDS log with a link to your previous thread. Please do not add any logs that might have been requested in the closed topic, you would be starting fresh.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...ng-Assistance)

ERROR MESSAGE 386
    No KeyBoard Detected
    Press F1 To Continue

Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016