Thread: Update service Stopped

Question Update service Stopped

I am a newbie on a home version of SpyBot + antivirus and I have it installed on two computers, My question is that on the top right hand corner of the home page on my laptop it has three tags Home Protection on with a green tick, Internet Protection Full with a green tick and then Update Service Stopped with a green tick.
    I am not sure what to do so I manually update it and the form comes up saying "The background updating service is not started. Do you want to elevate it using Aministrator priviledges to start it" So I do and it updates, but does this mean I have something turned off that needs turned on or is it normal and I have to do it manually all the time ?

Default correction

Quote Originally Posted by peemdee View Post
    I am a newbie on a home version of SpyBot + antivirus and I have it installed on two computers, My question is that on the top right hand corner of the home page on my laptop it has three tags Home Protection on with a green tick, Internet Protection Full with a green tick and then Update Service Stopped with a green tick.
    I am not sure what to do so I manually update it and the form comes up saying "The background updating service is not started. Do you want to elevate it using Aministrator priviledges to start it" So I do and it updates, but does this mean I have something turned off that needs turned on or is it normal and I have to do it manually all the time ?
    Where I said the home page I meant the "SPYBOT" page where is has the basic tools etc

No,that isn't normal,usually the Spybot update service stays running.
    Press the Windows+R keys to open the Run dialog,type services.msc,then press Enter.
    Scroll down until you see Spybot-S&D 2 Updating Service.Is the service set to Automatic?

yes it is set to "Automatic" in fact all 3 of the Soybot settings are set to Automatic

Further to the above answer the first two (Scanner service and Security Centre Service )on the services.msc page are showing Started and set on Automatic The third one Updating service shows nothing where the others show started but shows up as Automatic. When I click on the updating one it has a button on the top left saying Start the service but when I click it the following shows up "Windows could not start the Spybot-S&D2 updating service on Local Computer. Error1068 The dependency service or group failede to start.

Ok,thanks.
    Could you let me know what your version of Windows is?(Windows 7,Windows 8,etc.)
    Is the User Account you are using an administrator account,or are you a Standard User?

And could you go back into services once again:
    Press the Windows+R keys to open the Run dialog,type services.msc,then press Enter.
    Please scroll back down and double click the Spybot-S&D 2 Updating Service.Click the dependencies tab.
    Under "This service depends on the following system components",do you see Secondary Logon listed?
    And then under "The following system components depend on this service",are there no dependencies listed below that?

You should see Secondary Logon listed in Services,also.Is this listed as Manual,and is it showing it is Started?