Thread: Runtime error

Default Runtime error

Hi, I am getting the EXACT same issues and was wondering if you ever found an answer?

Edit
    Split off from: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...wly-running-pc
    Last edited by tashi; 2014-04-22 at 05:37. Reason: Split off from another topic,merged two other topics

Exclamation

I was wondering if anyone knows what to do with a "Runtime error 217 at 0045E980" constantly popping up? Spybot detects no issues but Microsoft help desk says I've got a virus. Thanks.

Default Runtime error 217

Hi, anyone out there knows what getting "Runtime error 217 at 0045E980" messages means? Microsoft help desk says it's a virus but Spybot doesn't detect anything. When browsing, I also keep needing to recover whatever web page I'm on. Thanks and appreciate any help.
    Last edited by Gary111; 2014-04-22 at 02:51.

Hello Gary111,

Quote Originally Posted by Gary111 View Post
    Hi, anyone out there knows what getting "Runtime error 217 at 0045E980" messages means? Microsoft help desk says it's a virus .
    Any particular reason someone at a Microsoft help desk told you it's a virus, did you present logs for them to make that deduction?

Please see this post in the Microsoft Answers forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...6-d6e40ff0f8f7

What is your operating system and please list all security software installed.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello Gary111,

Any particular reason someone at a Microsoft help desk told you it's a virus, did you present logs for them to make that deduction?

Please see this post in the Microsoft Answers forum: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...6-d6e40ff0f8f7

What is your operating system and please list all security software installed.

Best regards.
    Thanks for answering! I got Microsofts answer from a Live Chat rep who wouldn't respond to what a runtime 217 error meant. Instead they asked for 100$ to resolve the issue. I in turn asked what personal information they needed and they immediately asked for my credit card number. I'm told that my computer is hi-jacked. I'm running windows 7 Home. Spybot home and Malbytes. I was also bombarded by pop ups (supposedly from Microsoft security essentials) to install the free version of Mcafee which I continually refused. I'm at a total loss as to what to do so any help would be appreciated.

Hello Gary111,

Quote Originally Posted by Gary111 View Post
    Thanks for answering! I got Microsofts answer from a Live Chat rep who wouldn't respond to what a runtime 217 error meant. Instead they asked for 100$ to resolve the issue. I in turn asked what personal information they needed and they immediately asked for my credit card number. I'm told that my computer is hi-jacked. I'm running windows 7 Home. Spybot home and Malbytes. I was also bombarded by pop ups (supposedly from Microsoft security essentials) to install the free version of Mcafee which I continually refused. I'm at a total loss as to what to do so any help would be appreciated.
    Sounds suspiciously like this: http://www.microsoft.com/security/on...one-scams.aspx

Did this "Live Chat rep" contact you or did you contact Microsoft? Phone call or website?

I may re-direct you to our malware forum so someone can take a look at the system.

Kind regards.
    Last edited by tashi; 2014-04-22 at 08:44. Reason: clarify
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016