Thread: Windows redirected host

Default Windows redirected host

Hi, I now have 41 of the above and SD will not allow me to get rid of them. I have 1.4 and XPPro. It say C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts. And the The process can not access the file because it is being used by another process. Need help here. Thanks

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Does the user account you are running Spybot-S&D from have authority to write to the HOSTS file?

Are you running any other anti-malware besides Spybot-S&D that may be blocking access to the HOSTS file?

ZoneAlarm, STOPzilla and possibly other programs can block access to the HOSTS.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2006-09-02 at 06:48.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Windows Redirected Hosts

Hi, and thanks. Yes, I have Spy Sweeper and Zone Alarm Pro. How to check on these? Ralph

ZoneAlarm:

Go into ZoneAlarm > Firewall (left pane) > Advanced (right pane).
    1. If "Lock host file" is checked, uncheck it and click "OK".
    2. If "Lock host file" is unchecked, check it and click "OK". Then go back into Advanced, uncheck "Lock host file" and click "OK".

The reason for checking and un-checking "Lock host file" in #2 above is because of a bug in resent versions of ZoneAlarm (6.5.7xx.xxx) were the HOSTS file is automatically locked when ZoneAlarm starts regardless of the setting of "Lock host file".

Spy Sweeper:

I am not familiar with the product so I don't know if it locks the HOSTS file and if it does how to unlock it.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Thanks

Thanks, It worked and I shut off Spy Sweeper

Default Another Question

Hi again, After the above I got rid of the 41 entries on SD, however, the computer crashed and I used a prvious restore point. I am afraid to remove the entried again because it may crash. Is it necessary to delete these?? Ralph

That depends on the sites that are being redirected and to where. Show us a list of what is being detected. To do that:
    • Run another scan.
    • When the scan completes, right click on the results list, select "Copy results to clipboard".
    • Then paste those results to a new post in this thread.

Default New Scan

Hi, I ran a new scan and got a green arrow saying no problems all OK. My other spy removers may have taken care of this, I really don't know. If they appear again I will get back to you. Thank you so much. Ralph