Thread: Spybot Full System Scan

Default Spybot Full System Scan

I have just installed the Spybot free version and run a full system scan. It only found two minor items of real risk, which I quarantined, but listed over 120 tacking cookies which I ignored as irrelevant for now. Perhaps next time I may pay them more attention.

I use Chrome all the time as my default browser and Spybot seems to concentrate totally on IE, Firefox and Windows. I never saw a single mention of my Chrome browser during the over an hour scan, although I checked progress many times. What use is Spybot to a Chrome user when it concentrates all attention to other browsers ? Whether I keep it will depend entirely on your explanation and comments.

I almost never use IE and Firefox, although I do keep them updated, they are effectively unused alternative browsers, just laying idle on my desktop. So all threats will originate from Chrome activity, my main workhorse.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    I honestly cannot understand what the reference you gave me means. The guy seems to be moaning about Spybot not including Chrome and then says it is a wonderful program. But the message is clear to me. Spybot is only any use for IE and Firefox and no use at all for Chrome users. It appears to concentrate on browsers, where other programs concentrate on Memory, Registry and System Files.

All I want is an answer. Does Spybot scan the entire system and not just their beloved IE and Firefox.

You nag consistently for donations for a program that only concentrates on IE and Firefox and appear to forget that there are other browsers in the market which are just as important if not more. Chrome is a very big contender for top dog and Spybot ignores it.

Why concentrate on browsers anyhow ? Who cares what browser a person uses, it is utterly irrelevant to PC infections. It does not matter what gate an infection comes through, your job is to find the infection and kill it. Organize your pet program to scan a complete system for malware and other threats like all the other security programs do, no matter how many gates are open and forget your obsession with browsers.

It looks rather like Spybot and me are not desirable bed pals and Spybot is destined to be dumped as useless.
    Last edited by wittmann; 2014-07-30 at 12:58.

Decision made - you can close this thread, I have uninstalled Spybot using Revo Uninstaller to clear out all the left-over remnants which the normal uninstall program usually leaves behind.

I did not forget to restore the few items in Quarantine and also did an "Undo" on all the Immunised items. Revo prompts you to do this.
    Last edited by wittmann; 2014-07-30 at 19:58.

I didn't link directly to it,because it was somebody asking a similar question to yours,and I thought you would scroll down.I was mainly referring to this post,explaining why Chrome is not supported:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...l=1#post443259
    I don't use Chrome myself,but I believe the post still holds true,that Chrome isn't supported yet.

Thank you Zenobia.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

You're welcome.