Thread: UAC & Spybot Question

Question UAC & Spybot Question

Hello,

I work from home using a virtual call center software called five9.
    I purchased spybot home edition from your site.
    I just worked with one of your excellent volunteers to get various malware etc delete from my computer.
    When i tried to log in to my virtual workplace it wouldn't load.
    Worked with a five9 tech who fixed the issue but now in order for my five9 virtual call center software to work i have to turn UAC off.
    Am I still protected? I feel uncomfortable doing that as it worked before with it turned on.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.
    Blueskygal

I typed five9 into google,and a .pdf document came up with a box in the instructions saying if using Windows Vista that UAC needed to be turned off,and then I looked at your posts in malware removal and see that you do have Vista.There is nothing in the document to show the date of when it was made or anything,so I don't know if it's current,unfortunately.

If you feel comfortable doing so and think they are open to such questions,perhaps you could contact five9 and ask if this is still the case,or if they might have a workaround where you could use the software while having UAC turned on.

Default no workaround

Thanks zenobia. I worked with five9 to get their software working and no they do not have a workaround. perhaps there is some other way -- i'll research more when i have the time. i thought maybe spybot might have a way to do this. i'll have to dig a little deeper into vista as i saw a post where supposedly you can pick certain programs that it won't affect.

Thanks again,
    Blueskygal

No,there's no way to gear up a workaround with Spybot,unfortunately.

This link has a description of how UAC works,especially the paragraph under the 'You’re in control with User Account Control' title.Perhaps reading it will help you recognize when to be cautious,since you can't have UAC on at the moment:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/w...-windows-vista

There's an add/remove programs list here.If I'm planning on installing a program,I sometimes look it up on there,to see if it's listed as legitimate or not:
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/uninstall/

Your security programs should help keep your computer protected,and the final 'all clean' recommendations from your helper in the malware forums should help keep your computer safe,too.

Default Fix for uac

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/1354...the-uac-part2/

Found this link -- duh... yes i did text programming years ago

there is a way to do one -- this will take some time.

Thought you might like to know.

Thanks for your help & advice!

Blueskygal

That looks like it would be good to try.Good luck with it,I hope it works.