Thread: Where to get information

Default Where to get information

Hi Tashi,

Thank you again for the help on straightening out the difficulties with my donation.

This time I have come for information on which part of the forum I would go to get information on a problem with my wife's computer.

My wife obtained an ebook reader (Sony) and went to the site as instructed in the written instructions to download the software to initiate the reader. Unfortunately she trusted Sony and agreed to the license without reading it fully. Sony immediately loaded Google Chrome and a large quantity of other junkware such as toolbars and advertizing . I managed to get rid of a lot of the ads and toolbars, but there is no way to get rid of Google Chrome. I have tried using the control panel, but Chrome does not appear as a program. I have tried using the manual instructions from Google, but there is a file that you are suppose to download from Google and that is never available. I want to install Spybot but Chrome will not let it download, the same happens when I try to install Firefox.

This has pretty much limited her internet usage to where Google will let her surf (I got her an Ipad for the internet) and the overall performance of the computer is very bad, even in non-internet use compared to before she tried to install the ebook reader (which never worked anyways).

I question is what part of the forums would I go to get information on getting rid of the Google crapware? Or would it just be simpler to get an Imac and scrap the computer she has now (it is a Toshiba portable with Windows 7).

Otto

Hi Otto,

Could you clarify please, do you need assistance with the laptop, an ebook reader, or both.

Quote Originally Posted by OttoG View Post
    This time I have come for information on which part of the forum I would go to get information on a problem with my wife's computer.

My wife obtained an ebook reader (Sony) and went to the site as instructed in the written instructions to download the software to initiate the reader. Unfortunately she trusted Sony and agreed to the license without reading it fully. Sony immediately loaded Google Chrome and a large quantity of other junkware such as toolbars and advertizing . I managed to get rid of a lot of the ads and toolbars, but there is no way to get rid of Google Chrome.
    This has pretty much limited her internet usage to where Google will let her surf (I got her an Ipad for the internet) and the overall performance of the computer is very bad, even in non-internet use compared to before she tried to install the ebook reader (which never worked anyways).
    I question is what part of the forums would I go to get information on getting rid of the Google crapware? Or would it just be simpler to get an Imac and scrap the computer she has now (it is a Toshiba portable with Windows 7).
    tashi
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Default Oops, sorry

It's for the laptop. The ebook reader went to that great recycling spot in the sky without ever being used. I didn't want to give it away in case it would infect someone's computer.

Otto

Hello Otto,

For someone to take a look at the system please see the FAQ for the Malware Removal Forum which includes guidelines and instructions in post #2 on how to provide the logs used in the preliminary analysis.

Which are the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and aswMBR logs.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Post the logs in your new topic so a volunteer analyst may advise and if you can't for any reason start the new topic anyway. A helper will respond and guide you through the process.

Best regards.

Default Thank you!

I will head over the the Malware removal forum.

Again, thank you.

Otto

Thank you Otto,

I have asked a helper to assist you once you post in that forum.

tashi