Thread: Rootkit Scan won't open and freezes programs.

Default Rootkit Scan won't open and freezes programs.

Hi.

I am currently running the free version of Spybot 2.4 on a Windows 7 as of this writing, and I am having a problem with launching the Rootkit scan.

Short response: it won't open and it freezes on me.

Long response: Whenever I click on the Rootkit Scan, I get the 'Do Not Disturb' notice. I click 'OK', and then... Nothing happens. It is made only worse when I try clicking another button (System Scan, for example) on the Spybot menu. When I do that, the program just freezes on me. I tried running Spybot as 'Administrator'. Still didn't work. Then, I tried going onto my 'computer' link, and entering the 'program files'. After clicking on 'SDRootalyzer.exe', the 'Computer' window freezes on me. I try again by right-clicking 'SDRootalyzer.exe' and clicking 'run as administrator.' Same thing happens.

At this point, I don't know what's going on. If anyone can help me out on this, I would be very grateful.

Thanks!

Hello PurpleMetal75,

Sorry for the delay, has your computer shown any sign of infection?

Do you have an anti virus program installed?

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello PurpleMetal75,

Sorry for the delay, has your computer shown any sign of infection?

Do you have an anti virus program installed?

Best regards.
    My apologies for not responding sooner. It's been a long week.

Anyway, outside of Spybot, I use Microsoft Security Essentials, MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, and Auslogics BoostSpeed and DiskDefrag. So far, they seem to do the job just fine. I installed BitDefender a month ago, but it only slowed my computer down, so I had to uninstall it. Later, I tried Avast! and had the same results, although it didn't slow my computer down as much as BitDefender. Neither Avast! nor BitDefender found any infections after scanning.

Hello PurpleMetal75,

If you'd like someone to take a look at the system see the Malware Removal Forum FAQ which includes guidelines for that forum and instructions in post #2 on how to provide the preliminary DDS and aswMBR logs used for analysis.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Then start a new topic providing the logs and a volunteer analyst will advise when available.

Best regards.

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello PurpleMetal75,

If you'd like someone to take a look at the system see the Malware Removal Forum FAQ which includes guidelines for that forum and instructions in post #2 on how to provide the preliminary DDS and aswMBR logs used for analysis.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Then start a new topic providing the logs and a volunteer analyst will advise when available.

Best regards.
    I'm not really comfortable with posting everything into the public eye, so I'm trying to avoid this approach. That said, my computer has been a little slow lately, so if no other answers pop up, I'm willing to give this a try.

Hello PurpleMetal75,

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleMetal75 View Post
    I'm not really comfortable with posting everything into the public eye, so I'm trying to avoid this approach. That said, my computer has been a little slow lately, so if no other answers pop up, I'm willing to give this a try.
    I understand, one can check the logs before posting and remove any identifying information if it is there such as real name, email address etc.

Best regards.