Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Incomplete immunization - Internet Explorer 32 Bit Software Domains

Default Incomplete immunization - Internet Explorer 32 Bit Software Domains

I ran Spybot 2.4 immunization with administrator privileges and was able to immunize all categories except for Internet Explorer 32 bit software domains. Interestingly, Spybot was able to immunize the same software domains for Internet Explorer 64 bit. Please see the attached image of the immunization results.

I immunized a second time after disabling all my other antimalware protection software (Kaspersky Pure 3.0, Microsoft Security Essentials Version 4.5.216, and SpywareBlaster Version 5.0), but got the same result.

I have read the posts I found regarding the reasons for incomplete immunization and I don't have any of the blocking software mentioned installed on the computer. Could this be a problem with an Internet Explorer setting? If so I could not find the problem among the Internet Explorer settings.

I have Windows 7 professional 64 bit version with Service Pack 1 and numerous other updates
    Internet Explorer version 11.0.9600.17239

Windows Defender is turned off
    Internet options security is set to Medium-high with protected mode enabled

We have a second computer with the same software and same settings. Spybot was able to do a complete immunization on the second computer. I haven't been able to figure out what difference is between the 2 computers that prevents complete immunization on one of them.

Does anyone know what I'm overlooking?

Rightclick somewhere in the immunization window,select deselect all,then checkmark only \SOFTWARE (Domains),and click Apply Immunization.I've never had a problem immunizing Internet Explorer,but sometimes on Firefox one section is slow immunizing,so make sure you leave it for a bit,maybe 5 or 10 minutes.
    If it doesn't work,did you get any messages/windows from Spybot saying it couldn't be immunized,or does it just sit there?

Hello Zenobia:

I did as you asked but it still wouldn't immunize the 32 bit software domains.

I do get an error message

Spybot 2.4 Immunization Error Message.JPG

Hello.
    I wonder if this might be a permissions issue on the registry key?That seems like that might be it.I'm not 100% sure on that,but it might be worth going for a look.
    Have you ever been in the computer's registry before?And are you familiar with it?

If you are asking if I can search for a registry key and change a command line parameter or delete the key, yes I have done that a few times before, usually following instructions for a potential fix for a problem. I backed up the registry before making changes. So far I haven't made my computer unbootable or made a program unusable. Which registry edit program do you recommend I use?
    Last edited by lapper4; 2014-08-24 at 02:50.

It would just be opening regedit,and checking the permissions on the domains key,and perhaps changing permissions if it is incorrect.If you would like to do that,I'd give you instructions.

If you would rather not,then the websites listed in the registry as part of Spybot's immunization are usually the same ones Spybot puts into the Hosts file,making those bad websites unreachable,which also gives a form of protection.
    The sites listed in the registry as part of Internet Explorer (32-bit) place those sites into Restricted Sites.
    If you would prefer not to go into the registry,the unimmunized items could be left as is or perhaps put into Immunization's ignore.

It's completely up to you,whichever you are most comfortable with.

I'm game, please send the instructions.

Okay.
    Please click the start orb,and type regedit,then click regedit.exe.Say yes to the UAC prompt.
    Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap,then click on Domains.Rightclick Domains,then select Export.Name the file something easy to remember,like domainsbackup,and make sure the Save as type is Registration Files (*.reg).Pick a place where it's easy to find,such as Documents or Desktop,then click Save.

Once that's done,rightclick Domains again,then select Permissions.Under Group or User Names,you'll see some things listed.
    You can skip Restricted,if it's listed,because that shouldn't have full control.
    Beneath that System is probably listed.With that,Full Control and Read should have a checkmark.(It is normal for the checkmarks to be greyed out on these.)
    Below that,you should probably see something similar to Karen (Karen-PC\Karen)If your account is an administrator account then Full Control and Read should be checkmarked.
    Then below that one,you should see something similar to Administrators (Karen-PC\Administrators).This should also have Full Control and Read checkmarked.
    If any of the ones you checked don't have Full Control or Read checkmarked,please let me know.

Did as you instructed. The System, Karen, and Administrator permissions have the Read and Full Control boxes check marked as shown in the attached images. I didn't send you the reg file because it is over 5 megabytes and you didn't ask for it.

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but if the problem is a windows permission issue, why was Spybot able to immunize against 507 of the 15492 software domains? Shouldn't immunization of all the domains be blocked?

Administrators Permissions.JPG
    Karen Permissions.JPG
    System Permissions.JPG

Oh,thanks for uploading the images.Seeing makes things easier sometimes.

Perhaps this is a dumb question, but if the problem is a windows permission issue, why was Spybot able to immunize against 507 of the 15492 software domains? Shouldn't immunization of all the domains be blocked?
    Not a dumb question at all.That's why I said I wasn't 100% sure it was a permissions issue.

This will sound strange,but could you try unimmunizing the 507 immunization that you do have for Internet Explorer (32-bit) \Software(Domains),and then try immunizing it again,and let me know what happens?