Thread: Start Centre showing "This software is being updated..." ver 2.4.40.130

Default Start Centre showing "This software is being updated..." ver 2.4.40.130

After installing SD+AV 2.4 from forum download area my Start Centre shows
    This software is being updated... instead of This software is up to date
    Following install both updates completed successfully (see attached)
    Attached Images Attached Images

I guess Spybot 2.4 always shows that.
    Please see here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...ng-update-quot
    And then here:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...l=1#post455972
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2014-08-30 at 08:15.

thanks Zenobia, I should have searched a little harder before posting a repeat

That's alright,I had trouble finding the post,and I was typing in it.
    You're welcome.

Default more to this than a bad display

Today I got a security center message in my windows 8.1 that Spybot SD+AV 2.4.40 is OUT of Date
    and has not been updated for 8 days. What gives?
    I started the update manually and it finished ok and the Start Center still shows that display that says
    "This software is being updated..." see my original attachments

My apologies,I didn't know about that.
    Usually your edition of Spybot has a scheduled task to update on logon,and to check 5 minutes afterwards,etc.,if you choose it during install.Can you check and see if you have a scheduled task set-up?
    Open Spybot Start Center,checkmark Advanced User Mode,click Settings(say yes to UAC),then click the Schedule tab.Under Updates,if Updates are enabled,it should say Status:Ready.

the defaults are as you indicate (I've never changed them) the status is Ready and the last time does show it as a few minutes before I checked it (makes sense), so things appear as they should. Maybe the message should read "This software is being updated every 5 minutes" or whatever number of minutes is chosen, would be more comforting. My Out of date for 8 days message is still troubling although it went away after the manual update. My Updates log shows no entries between Sep 1 and Sep 11 (when I did the manual update), does the 5 min default put a log entry anywhere?
    also;
    Should one see an increment in the version when updates are applied, seems that mine says 2.4.40.0 and the Start center is 2.4.40.130 since installed.
    Last edited by pfcooper; 2014-09-12 at 15:31. Reason: another question added

2.4.40.130 should be the most up to date version of the Spybot start center,mine is the same version,and looking in the Spybot folder,Start Center(sdwelcome.exe) says it was modified in July,which is roughly when I upgraded from 2.3 to 2.4.

To see if the scheduled updates are logged,I turned on task history in task scheduler for the Spybot tasks so I had a log of the task starting,etc.,then clicked Run twice,and they didn't appear to show in the Updates.logfile in Spybot,even after waiting 5 minutes.So I assume the updates don't show in the logfile,but I thought I checked that quite a while ago,and updates were logged,if I remembered correctly.So I'll have to watch the updates.logfile for a bit just to be sure.

Where the windows action center gave you the message that you hadn't had updates for 8 days,I assume you perhaps might not have been getting updates for that amount of time,unless there is some problem with scheduled updates being reported to the action center.Since I'm not 100% sure on all that,it might be best if you ask Spybot support about it as they can tell you about it better than I can.There's a form to fill out here:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/support/

In the meantime,until you hear back from support,it would probably be best if you check for updates manually at least once a day,because there are usually antivirus updates every day,sometimes more than once.
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2014-09-12 at 19:32.

thanks, been off a few days, reported problem to Spybot Support today and will check manually for updates.
    manual update did apply av updates so it looks like I may not be getting auto updates (it would be quite a coincidence
    if they had just become available in the 5 minutes default window). I will repeat the manuall update again later, just to confirm
    and post again.

Good,glad you reported it.Thanks.