Thread: Spybot 2.2 and Bitdefender Windows 8

Default Spybot 2.2 and Bitdefender Windows 8

I have always used Spybot but switched from Norton to Bitdefenders several months ago (before I noticed that SB had an antivirus version) I am having problems with my BD crashing every time it does a system scan. Quick scans run fine and it is working at the AV part, but the scans which start randomly, always slowed down the computer so that using it was impossible and I have to reboot to get out of it as it freezes. I FINALLY got a response from BD support and they are telling me that the problem is my Spybot and that I need to uninstall it. I honestly like the SB and want to keep it. Is there a way to make BD and SB play nice? If I had not paid for the BD I would ditch it and buy the SB-AV version but I am stuck right now with the BD. Seems to me that if the AV part of SB uses BD (Think that is what I read) then why can they not play nice. Thanks for any help you can give

Hello JerseyGirl59,

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyGirl59 View Post
    I have always used Spybot but switched from Norton to Bitdefenders several months ago (before I noticed that SB had an antivirus version) I am having problems with my BD crashing every time it does a system scan. Quick scans run fine and it is working at the AV part, but the scans which start randomly, always slowed down the computer so that using it was impossible and I have to reboot to get out of it as it freezes. I FINALLY got a response from BD support and they are telling me that the problem is my Spybot and that I need to uninstall it.
    Did they give an explanation for that statement? There should be a reason if they are stating an anti-spyware/malware program is interfering with an anti-virus.

Presumably Spybot and Norton were getting along?

Best regards,
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello JerseyGirl59,

Did they give an explanation for that statement? There should be a reason if they are stating an anti-spyware/malware program is interfering with an anti-virus.

Presumably Spybot and Norton were getting along?

Best regards,

No, all they said was I should not run more than one security solution on the PC and they recommend I uninstall Spybot. And yup..Norton and SB played fine together. I used Norton for years but once I got my new laptop, which is a Windows 8, every time I got an update on Norton, I was unable to connect any of my browsers to the internet and had to jump through hoops to get it to work again. And whenever I tried to check my settings on Norton, it froze and I had to reboot to get out of it. I should have just stuck with the Norton I guess but like a fool, I decided to try something else. I researched and BD had really good ratings and reviews and it was less money than the Norton so I decided to go with that. Like I said, it seems to be doing everything else it is supposed to do. I am pretty careful on how I use the laptop and even running a daily quickscan as well as the Spybot, I rarely have anything more than a few tracking things to remove. It just irritates me that the BD system scans run whenever they want to and tie up the computer. Plus they are taking 8 hours to run on a laptop that is not even using a quarter of its storage. I don't routinely download new files to it so that seems like an extraordinary length of time for it to take. I could see an hour..but 8?? And it bogs me down the entire time. I' even started a sys scan manually before bedtime just to see what happened and it still was not done in the morning. I have never had a problem with SB and was told by a tech person to install it years ago on my desktop in addition to the Norton after we got a virus on it. I've used it ever since and never had a problem till now. Them telling me to remove it because IT was the problem made me decide to check and see if anyone else had problems with using them together. I found an old thread that said something about resident files and unchecking something but since it was older the directions didn't make sense as SB has changed layouts since then. Here is the link to that thread: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...ds-to-problems. Not sure of that would be the problem I am having or not.

Default Jersey try this

Go in to GENERAL SETTINGS under GENERAL TAB make sure Automatic laptop mode is OFF.
    I have been using BitDefender and Spybot and Malwarebytes for several years and no problems they all play nicely.

What I can tell you is my beloved spouse one day decided that 2 antivirus programs would be much better. The price was paid when the machine wouldn't boot. No backups to speak of. Long day at work came home she explained what she had done. I discovered the battle was on of McAfee versus ESET. McAfee won as the registry was major broken and there were a lot of bits nibbles and bytes dead. The parsing generals gave up. BitDefender is more responsive in their tech assist so im kinda shocked about the way they responded. The best to you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny B View Post
    Go in to GENERAL SETTINGS under GENERAL TAB make sure Automatic laptop mode is OFF.
    I have been using BitDefender and Spybot and Malwarebytes for several years and no problems they all play nicely.

What I can tell you is my beloved spouse one day decided that 2 antivirus programs would be much better. The price was paid when the machine wouldn't boot. No backups to speak of. Long day at work came home she explained what she had done. I discovered the battle was on of McAfee versus ESET. McAfee won as the registry was major broken and there were a lot of bits nibbles and bytes dead. The parsing generals gave up. BitDefender is more responsive in their tech assist so im kinda shocked about the way they responded. The best to you!!

Thank you for your response. :-) I did do that a while back as well as not setting it to autopilot. The auto sys scans seem to have stopped....for now. I was shocked also that they responded that way, as everything I read on them said that they were not only the best product, but that their support was very good. Their first response to me was to go to their support site and download something that created a system shot and some other files and placed them in a zip file on my desktop. I was then supposed to reply to the mail and attach that file...which I did. The reply to that was from another rep who basically repeated exactly what the previous rep told me. So I replied that I had done what they asked but would resend the file. The response to THAT was from yet a different rep who said the same thing but in different words. So I again replied that I had already done that but would resend again..and I did. Next response was from another rep telling me the same thing again. I was not so nice in my reply. I told them that I was tired of them passing me off to someone different who told me the same stock answer and that I would resend one last time..to actually OPEN the zip file and every file they asked me for was in that file. I also told them I was not stupid. They finally responded and that was when they said it was SB fault and to remove it. Which I don't think it is. So far it has not run a system scan in a week and I continue to just run my daily quick scans and run my Spybot once a week. So far things have been fine but I am sure it is just a matter of time before the system scan runs automatically again.

Hello JerseyGirl59,

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyGirl59 View Post
    No, all they said was I should not run more than one security solution on the PC and they recommend I uninstall Spybot.
    There shouldn't be more than one anti-virus or firewall on a computer. But "more than one security solution" is a blanket statement covering a lot of territory.

Kind regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello JerseyGirl59,

There shouldn't be more than one anti-virus or firewall on a computer. But "more than one security solution" is a blanket statement covering a lot of territory.

Kind regards.
    Exactly. I only have the one anti-virus on my laptop. I knew not to use more than one. But the Spybot I have installed is not the one with the AV attached to it, it is just the plain version. I was told by a tech to use it alongside my AV (which was Norton at the time). I have used SB with the Norton for many, many years and they always played nice together. My sys scans on the Norton never took 8 hrs and never bogged down the computer (I set them to run overnight). I never should have switched from the Norton, I guess.