Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AVG Resident Shield keeps finding "Trojan horse Generic_c", and awsMBR keeps crashing

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Juliet View Post
    How is your computer now?
    Is it working as it should and returned to normal?
    It's a lot more snappier. Is there another tool that I can run to just double-check?

Thanks so much.

Security Expert-emeritus Juliet's Avatar

Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware to your desktop.

• Windows XP : Double click on the icon to run it.
    • Windows Vista, Windows 7 & 8 : Right click and select "Run as Administrator"

• On the Dashboard click on Update Now
    • Go to the Setting Tab
    • Under Setting go to Detection and Protection
    • Under PUP and PUM make sure both are set to show Treat Dections as Malware
    • Go to Advanced setting and make sure Automatically Quarantine Detected Items is checked
    • Then on the Dashboard click on Scan
    • Make sure to select THREAT SCAN
    • Then click on Scan
    • When the scan is finished and the log pops up...select Copy to Clipboard
    • Please paste the log back into this thread for review
    • Exit Malwarebytes

Windows Insider MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2017
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Thumbs up

Nothing found of significance. I was careful unchecking every box during installations but the "program" itself didn't even bother putting up a user interface. That was the problem.

Thanks again.

I'm thinking the malware is gone.

How's the computer?
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Every browser lags, but that was the case before the infection. I just don't have the time to do a clean reinstall, but it's needed. I'm hoping for a great sale on a computer this holiday season so I don't have to do it.

Cheers.

First thought is the AVG Antivirus running in the background is causing this.

If there are any personal files, pics, etc. on your computer you cannot live without, back them up now just as a precaution.
    Emergency Backup Procedure - Tech Support Forum

Please print out or make a copy in notepad of any instructions given, as sometimes it is necessary to go offline and you will lose access to them.

How to use ComboFix

Download ComboFix from here:
    Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3

Place ComboFix.exe on your Desktop <--Important
    • Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with ComboFix.
      * Ensure you have disabled all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

You can get help on disabling your protection programs here
    • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
    • You may be asked to install or update the Recovery Console (Win XP Only) if this happens please allow it to do so (you will need to be connected to the internet for this)
    • Your desktop may go blank. This is normal. It will return when ComboFix is done. Combofix may need to reboot your computer more than once to do its job this is normal.
    • When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Post that log in your next reply

Note:
      Do not mouseclick combofix's window whilst it's running. That may cause it to stall.

Note 2: If you receive an error "Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion." Please restart the computer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • Ensure your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications are re-enabled.

Note: ComboFix may reset a number of Internet Explorer's settings, including making it the default browser.
      Note: Combofix prevents autorun of ALL CDs, floppies and USB devices to assist with malware removal & increase security.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • If there are Internet issues after running ComboFix:
      Internet Explorer:
      Tools Menu -> Internet Options -> Connections Tab ->Lan Settings > uncheck "use a proxy server" and check to "Automatically detect settings". Also clear any proxy address and port. ok, apply (only if applicable), ok.
      Firefox:
      Tools Menu -> Options... -> Advanced Tab -> Network Tab -> "Settings" under Connection. "No Proxy" should be selected, unless you have one set up yourself.
      Chrome:
      Select -> Tools menu -> then "Options", then go to "Change Proxy Settings", then "LAN Settings" , then take out the check mark for "Use a proxy server for your LAN" if set, unless you set this up yourself.
      Safari
      Launch Safari
      Go to general settings menu
      Then in Preferences/ Advanced
      Then on line click Proxies change settings ...
      Click Internet Options, then click the Connections tab, click Network Settings.
      Disable option (uncheck) for the use of proxy server ...