Thread: Spybot causing temporary lockups?

Default Spybot causing temporary lockups?

I am currently running Spybot V. 2.4. Recently I began to notice that my computer (Running Windows 8.1 x64-bit and 8Gb RAM) was rapidly and temporarily locking. It was as if the focus was removed from whatever I was working on. This was particularly noticeable when typing anything like a document or email.

It seemed the only way to escape the problem was to reboot. Until it happened again.

I could not find any preceding action or program that caused the problem. Dumping the log for the system didn't provide much clarity.

Just recently, I started to activate the Task Manager, and it was instructive. I would see the listing of running processes jump up and down rapidly. With that clue, I began to look at the line just before the "jumping" lines. (The ones above remained in place.)

What I saw surprised me. See the attached screen shot. It showed Spybot subservient to "Windows Security Center integration (32-bit)." When I stopped that process, the problem disappeared (until the next time).

My question is, "What's happening here?" Is the problem with Spybot or with the Windows Security Center integration? Which is the culprit? Why? And finally, is there a way, short of dumping Spybot that the problem can be permanently resolved?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Windows Security Center integration is a part of Spybot.You can stop it by opening Spybot Start Center,checkmarking Advanced User Mode,clicking the System Services tab,and beside Security Center Service,clicking Stop,then unchecking "Active after every reboot.",then clicking Apply and OK.There is also an option to Uninstall it there,if you prefer.

However,please be aware that if you stop or uninstall the service,then Action Center will no longer monitor Spybot,and you need to check things within Spybot yourself.You must check to be sure that it is up to date yourself by looking at Update in Spybot and viewing the Update button(if you're out of date,it will give you a message in yellow or red).Also,if you have Spybot Home or Professional,and have Live Protection enabled,you need to check that it is on from time to time,since Action Center will not warn you.That can be accomplished by hovering your cursor over the sdtray icon down by your clock from time to time,and making sure it says Live Protection:On.

In short,Stopping Windows Security Center integration isn't something that ought to be recommended.But,if you're experiencing freezes and such,it should be okay to stop or uninstall it,so long as you're careful to monitor those parts of Spybot that Action Center normally would.

Default But why>

Thanks for your information, but I still wonder why this is happening, and whether there is a solution that will allow the function to continue without causing the problem.

Has anyone else experienced this?

No,I don't remember anybody else encountering temporary freezes due to Windows Security Center integration,nor have I experienced any.And a search of the forums didn't show anything related to that,either.Then again,Windows 8 task manager is very improved from prior versions,so perhaps some people had temporary freezes,and couldn't see that it was Security Center integration,it is difficult to say.

I'm not sure what would cause that.Also,I'm on Windows 7,so I don't have access to exactly what you see when looking at task manager.

When the temporary freezing was happening,did you notice the Heat Map beside Windows Security Center integration?Was it red,orange,or yellow?Or were the other processes changing to red?Was that what you meant by jumping processes?

Thanks for checking. No. I did not check the Heat Map.

This is how it worked:

I would be in either in Word or Thunderbird, typing some text, and I would notice that many times, the system did not catch a keystroke for a letter or punctuatioin. Dutifully, I would go back and enter the missing letter(s). However, even highlighting a word became problematic.

I would look at the top of the screen where the program name and/or menu would be shown. In all of the editions of Windows I've used back to 3.1, the window with the focus would be a more robust color. Other shown windows would have that same line more dull (like grayed out). Obviously, Microsoft used this visual clue to alert the user.

In my case, there were no other windows open (as far as I know). The text programs that were running when the problem appeared showed the indication that the system focus was no longer in that program. Moreover, If I had focused on a tab for another program, that chosen program would have come full or partial screen, depending on its state when it was minimized.

At no time when the focus was lost on one of the programs most affected, did another program take the forefront (and focus). And even more perplexing, focus would return to my primary program in only a second, only to repeat a second or two later!!

As I said, when looking at the Task Manager, the listing of programs would "jump" indicating that another program was starting. And the "jumping" list would jump in time with the focus interruptions.

So, I looked on the list to see what items were stable, not "jumping." Then, I looked at the program listed just before it those that were jumping. There was no indication of any problem. The first program that caused all of the others to "jump" were the two Spybot programs. Using Task Manager carefully (I don't recall if it was subject to this phenomenon), I terminated the Spybot programs, and all of the problems disappeared until later or another day.

I should point out that I have Spybot installed on a laptop running Win 8.1 x64 with no problems. I also have it running under Windows 7 x64 without any problems.

But the problem persisted on this machine under Win 8.1 x 64, even after updates were applied.

I hope that this aids your analysis.

Thanks again,

There's a program online called Focus Taker ID,but it says it is supported on XP, Vista, & 7 only,so looks like that one is out.

All right,a couple things I wish to ask about,and thanks for your patience.

Is this consistent?Has the freezing immediately stopped whenever Windows Security Center integration (32-bit) background process is ended more than the one time?Don't worry,I'm not doing the ole "it isn't Spybot's fault,it's something else" and disregarding Windows Security Center integration entirely.Windows Security Center integration is certainly under suspicion as the cause since the problem ended after you stopped it,but it does need to be looked at further to be sure it is causing the focus losing and freezing for certain,and it isn't just a coincidence.I believe from looking at pictures online that heatmap is shown for background processes,too,so when the problem happens next could you open task manager and view if anything beside Windows Security Center integration (32-bit) is showing red or orange?

I see you have wizmouse.May I ask if you use a logitech mouse?

Also,this:
    I should point out that I have Spybot installed on a laptop running Win 8.1 x64 with no problems. I also have it running under Windows 7 x64 without any problems.

But the problem persisted on this machine under Win 8.1 x 64, even after updates were applied.
    It would be a good idea to look at any differences.What edition is the Spybot on the computer with the freezing problem,free,home or professional?Are the Spybot's on the Windows 8 laptop and the Windows 7 the same edition,or different?

Thank you for your continuing interest in this issue.

Each of the times I used the Task Manager to stop the Spybot program(s), the problem was resolved immediately: no rebooting required.

The mouse is from Dell, but, as you know, it could have been manufactured by anyone. As for WizMouse, I use it for one feature that I like. With multiple windows open, or with frames within a program, the focus and control goes to that window or frame in which the mouse cursor resides. Thus, there is no need to have to click on a windows or frame to be able to scroll or edit within that area; it does so automatically.

I am pretty sure I have WizMouse operating on the laptop, too, but I'll have to check to be sure. As a general rule, both machines are setup as identically as possible, especially including partitioning and program and data locations. Clearly, any differences are due to the differences with the underlying hardware. It is for that reason that I can use Goodsync to make sure that the same data, documents, email repository, graphics, music, etc, is the same on both machines. That said, clearly I don't sync programs.

I'll try to check for WizMouse on the laptop a bit later in the day. I am pretty sure, but I will also check that Spybot is the same edition on both machines.

Again, my thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    There's a program online called Focus Taker ID,but it says it is supported on XP, Vista, & 7 only,so looks like that one is out.

All right,a couple things I wish to ask about,and thanks for your patience.

Is this consistent? Has the freezing immediately stopped whenever Windows Security Center integration (32-bit) background process is ended more than the one time? Don't worry, I'm not doing the ole "it isn't Spybot's fault, it's something else" and disregarding Windows Security Center integration entirely.Windows Security Center integration is certainly under suspicion as the cause since the problem ended after you stopped it,but it does need to be looked at further to be sure it is causing the focus losing and freezing for certain, and it isn't just a coincidence.I believe from looking at pictures online that heatmap is shown for background processes, too,so when the problem happens next could you open task manager and view if anything beside Windows Security Center integration (32-bit) is showing red or orange?

I see you have wizmouse. May I ask if you use a logitech mouse?

Also,this:

It would be a good idea to look at any differences.What edition is the Spybot on the computer with the freezing problem, free, home or professional? Are the Spybot's on the Windows 8 laptop and the Windows 7 the same edition,or different?

You're welcome.

I was asking about wizmouse and if you had a logitech mouse because it says here some people with wizmouse and logitech mice experience issues,though I couldn't find out exactly what those issues were:
    http://antibody-software.com/web/sof...der-the-mouse/
    I do see some references online to Dell Logitech mice.
    You might be able to find out more info about your mouse if you open device manager,and look under Mice and Other Pointing Devices.

If the no focus and freezing problem goes away every time you stop Windows Security Center integration and Spybot S&D Security Center Service,it does sound like it's related.Are these the only processes you stop from Spybot in task manager,or are there any more listed that you end as well?

I am pretty sure, but I will also check that Spybot is the same edition on both machines
    Thanks.I would like to know if the edition of Spybot 2.4 on the laptop with the focus problem is Spybot 2.4 free,home,or professional,I don't see that listed above anywhere,unless I missed it,as well as the Edition of the others.

Default Status

Just an update:

I have been running my Win 7 x64 installations that have both WizMouse and Spybot without any difficulty. Of the two installations of Win 8.1 x64, one has Spybot loaded, and it is hasn't had any significant problems, at least none that can be traced to either program. Of the Win 8.1 x64 installation from which Spybot was uninstalled, it has been running as well as can be expected with Win 8.1, with no issues seemingly related to WizMouse. (It did crash Mozilla Thunderbird once or twice, but there were no lockups or focus shifting.)

Soon, I am going to re-install the latest version of Spybot again, and see if the problem comes back.

I'll post the results when I think that the test has run long enough, unless of course, things revert back to how they were prior to this thread.

Okay.