Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Upgrade to v2.4 results in loss of clean temporary files

You're welcome.You aren't being a pest at all.

I believe 100 is the default minimum,still.So,Spybot would wait until there are 100 files in the temp folder,and then it would delete all the temp files that aren't in use.
    Typing %temp% into start-search should open the temp folder located at C:\Users\<Your User Name>\AppData\Local\Temp in Vista.
    I had 147 temp files to be cleared,so I let Spybot clear them,and 3 files were in use.It didn't remove any in C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Local\Temp.When I looked in C:\Windows\Temp,there were 2 files/folders there.So,I'm not exactly sure if that is the right location,but I also checked Secure Shredder's template for temp files,and that location was C:\Windows\Temp,so assuming that Spybot uses the same temp folder location in the offering to clean files before a scan as it does it's Secure Shredder template,I think that might be the correct location.But,I'm on 64-bit,and I couldn't find any info on whether or not I might have two temporary file locations anywhere,plus there were two files left in C:\Windows\Temp,so I'm not 100% certain that is the correct location.If it is correct,then perhaps you don't accumulate as many temporary files in that location,and that's why you haven't gotten the offer to clear temp files in so long,though it has been a long time,and I thought that would be offered by now.I looked through Spybot Settings,and I couldn't find anything to do with temp file cleaning.

I'm puzzled as to why the temp file cleaning hasn't been offered yet.As an alternative,you could delete temp files using disk cleanup:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/w...=windows-vista

Default Sorry

Hi Zenobia,

today 23rd December I checked my forum post for replies to my last entry of the 17th and I could not find any. This was because I did not notice that the page had changed and your latest reply was on the new page. I attempted to send you a private message prompt but I don't know if it went through. If it has then I apologise for wasting your time when you had already replied.

I will continue to monitor %temp% and see if it gets to 100+ and report back here on the reappearance of the purge facility. I have various cleanup options CCleaner. %temp%>Del. Windows Diskcleanup but i just wanted to get back to the place that I was at prior to upgrading.

Thanks for your continued support in this matter.

John
    Last edited by OldGit66; 2014-11-23 at 13:55. Reason: additional info

Yup,it went through.This is the first I've been on the forum today,so I didn't see it until now,so I'll just answer here.
    I checked my System Scan,but I don't have enough temp files to remove yet,so I couldn't recheck to see where the temp files are removed from.If the temp files being removed from C:\Windows\Temp is correct,then you should count the files located there.

Default Clean temporary files reappears

Hi Zenobia,

today "Clean temporary files" reappeared but not in the place that is was before. It now appears (after 100 files accumulate in %temp%) in the right hand pane where the scanning takes place. A yellow banded offer to clean temporary files appears here where you would normally get an offer to run the scan. I suppose that the offer will only return when I get to 100 files again. In v 2.2 the clean temporary files was offered at each run in the left hand pane.

Anyway I thought that I would finish off this saga for sake of completeness.

Thanks for your help
    John
    Last edited by OldGit66; 2014-12-03 at 18:49. Reason: spelling

Glad it reappeared.
    There used to be a registry tweak to change the minimum number of files needed for the offer to clean temp files to appear,but I tried it out and it didn't appear to work anymore(or I did it wrong,perhaps,that was the first time I tried it),so looks like you'll have to stick with the minimum default number of 100 temp files.But on the plus side,at least you know it's offered at 100,and there was nothing wrong.