Thread: Firefox crashing - possibly Spybot related

Default Firefox crashing - possibly Spybot related

Just had the third sudden crash of Firefox 32.0.3 in the last couple of days. First thing I know about it is the appearance of the message window 'Mozilla Crash Reporter'.

The only significant change I've made was to upgrade my (previously rarely used Spybot) to the latest version, 2.4, and do a full scan. With default settings, that found over 400 items. Mostly low risk trackers, but a couple of trojans too, Vittalia and P2P.MediaGet. (I'm straying OT I realise, but that came as a surprise, as I'd have thought my regular anti-virus program Avira would have detected them?) Anyway, I allowed Spybot to remove all. Shortly after that, FF lost my profile, which I had to restore. So I strongly suspect a connection. Any advice would be appreciated please.

FWIW, I just noticed that my FF version was 32.03. I didn't get any automatic notification. Now updated to 32.03.

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK

This is how to run Firefox in safe mode,which would be helpful to see if it might be an add-on.Though since Firefox isn't crashing all the time,it might be hard to tell if it's an add-on or not:
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...sing-safe-mode

This shows how to view a crash report:
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...-crash-reports
    It's probably like searching for a needle in a haystack,but the reason for the crash is listed beside Crash Reason.It would have something like this listed next to it:EXCEPTION_BREAKPOINT.If you wanted to post that from the latest crash report,I could see if I can find anything.

Thanks Zenobia, and please excuse my delay in replying.

However, I'm not really clear what you're asking me to send you? If it's simply that entry then it's just
    Crash Reason EXCEPTION_BREAKPOINT
    which I woudn't think tells you any more than me?

Interestingly, that was the most recent crash report listed, 23rd October, yet I've had at least a couple more since then, the most recent being about half an hour ago! Note that Spybot is not currently loaded, so that's plainly not the cause. I had an FF message at the time of this crash giving me an opportunity to restore all 30 odd tabs (in 12 tab groups) and I've now selectively done so. I'll see how things go from here.

--
    Terry, East Grinstead, UK
    Last edited by terrypin; 2014-10-30 at 17:34.

No problem.

Yes,I hadn't looked at it completely,it's probably not enough to go on.Please open your latest Crash Report,and copy and paste here,along with the Crash Reason,Process Type.Then click Search Mozilla Support for help,and paste the link here.It'll look somewhat similar to this:
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/se...______________