Thread: Deep infections Spybot can't find

Default Deep infections Spybot can't find

I have ended up with some very buried infections on my laptop. They are in the os somewhere but Spybot won't touch them. The version I have of SB is the professional edition. I bought it to clean this muck off my hard drive but it appears it was not such a good decision!
    I have written an email and the response I got was of the "have you got the computer plugged in the wall?" variety. It ended by suggesting I come to this forum. I think that referring me to a forum is a bit weak as far as support goes. Very HP!!

www.bradenton.com
    pixel.cpm2track.com
    ads.alladserv.com
    emls.domads.net

These are the buggers I am dealing with. A IE instance is activated and runs in the background. It can only be seen with Windows Task Manager. It cannot be terminated. When an internet connection is established it is off to the races!! It gobbles up my 10gb hot spot allotment. It randomly streams audio advertisements notably Motorola and Verizon.

I cannot reformat as I do not have working image disks. I paid a large sum at Office Depot for them to fix my computer and give me disks back in March and when it came time to use them last weekend guess what? They don't work!! Surprise!!
    So they ordered me a set of disks from Toshiba (my computer manufacturer), I am waiting for them.

I thought Spybot might do it but it looks like I wasted my money. I have McCaffee installed and it is much worse than SB so I guess it was somewhat of a step forward.
    Spyware Doctor worked very well for me but they sold out to Norton - the antichrist.

Anyone anyone anyone?
    Bueler, Bueler, Bueler??

I'll check back regularly and thanks in advance.

Hello izifaddag,

Quote Originally Posted by izifaddag View Post
    I have ended up with some very buried infections on my laptop. They are in the os somewhere but Spybot won't touch them. The version I have of SB is the professional edition. I bought it to clean this muck off my hard drive

• The computer was infected before you installed the new software?
    • Which security programs were already installed when the problems started.
    • Is this a personal computer and what is the operating system please.

I'll check back regularly and thanks in advance.

Subscriptions
    Members can keep track of their threads and choose how to be notified about updates.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello izifaddag,

• The computer was infected before you installed the new software?
    • Which security programs were already installed when the problems started.
    • Is this a personal computer and what is the operating system please.

Subscriptions
    Members can keep track of their threads and choose how to be notified about updates.

Best regards.
    Yes the computer was already infected.
    McCaffee
    It is a personal computer and the OS is Windows system 7

Hi zifaddag,

Please see the Malware Removal Forum sticky which includes guidelines and instructions in post #2 on how to provide the logs from Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and aswMBR, which are the logs used in the preliminary analysis.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Then start a new topic in that forum providing those logs so a volunteer analyst can assist.

Best regards.

Hi zifaddag,

Please see the Malware Removal Forum sticky which includes guidelines and instructions in post #2 on how to provide the logs from Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and aswMBR, which are the logs used in the preliminary analysis.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Then start a new topic in that forum providing those logs so a volunteer analyst can assist.

Best regards.
    Your repose is gratefully received but - fingers crossed - I seem to have fixed the problem myself.
    I used an online service called "The Herd" this ran 68 different online virus / adware / spyware search engines and picked up quite a lot of stuff SB missed. Even every one of their engines doesn't pick up all of the stuff. Only 9 detected anything. A reboot brought me back to 'normal'

Hello izifaddag,

It would be a good idea to have a trained person take an in depth look at the system, but your choice.

Hello izifaddag,

It would be a good idea to have a trained person take an in depth look at the system, but your choice.

Well I was wrong. I am not cured. Just woke up and did a control alt delete to bring up windows task manager and there it is. Can't delete it and can't see it. The windows search system doesn't reveal anything.

I will follow your previous suggestion. I take by trained person you mean somebody at Spybot because the trained person at Office Depots solution is to wipe and reinstall. I think that is the only way this can be resolved.

Hello izifaddag,

I will follow your previous suggestion. I take by trained person you mean somebody at Spybot because the trained person at Office Depots solution is to wipe and reinstall. I think that is the only way this can be resolved.
    We are not Office Depot and no-one can foresee if you would be advised to wipe and reinstall until logs are seen and analyzed. ;-) Often a nuke and pave isn't necessary but only by starting a topic will you know.

Malware Removal Forum: volunteers with the following titles above their avatar are authorized to assist members.

Security Team, Malware Team, Teacher, Security Expert, Developer.
    Members may not post to another user's topic.

Analysts on the Security Team are advanced students whose responses are passed by their teachers, some of whom help here.

You are in capable hands with any person authorized to assist members in this forum.

That said, there is always risk involved in installing and removing any software. Even a fix that time has shown to be useful to thousands of users, can present problems to a few or be found to have a bug in development.

While best efforts are made to assist in removing infections safely, unexpected stuff can happen. It is advisable that you back up your important data before starting any clean up procedure. Neither Safer Networking Forums nor the Analyst providing the advice may be held responsible for any loss.
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread...nce%29-Updated

On-Line Analyzers

Kind regards.
    Last edited by tashi; 2014-11-15 at 19:55. Reason: Clarify

Many thanks for help.
    My disks arrived from Toshiba and I spent the day formatting, reinstalling and reconfiguring. It was a good move from several different points of view.
    I am going to keep all data on an external drive from now on along with the cloud and reinstall the os at regular intervals.
    I think Spybot and McAfee are fine but not after the fact.
    I think it is best to to nuke then install SB etc and then and only then go on the internet to start downloads of drivers and scanner / printer software etc. That way the AV sw has a chance to work.
    I think installing after an attack is too late. AND I am saying this despite the fact that McAfee was running.