Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: browser setting issues

Default the story continues

hi again, first i want to say once again how much your patience is valued on this end while we work on my problem. i'm going through the steps as you have outlined and so far the settings problem remains. the weird thing is i had already updated my fox version but i did it again just to cover bases, then when i uninstalled/reinstalled the browser(i even used the start menu search bar to make sure there were no firefox-mozilla components on the machine)it reinstalled with all my bookmarks etc still in the browser not sure why or how but thats what it did. at any rate the settings issue remains. i have followed all the steps to the letter and so far no luck, i have complete faith in this matter from your end and have more than the average amount of patience to work out the bugs i seem to have come across. i do enjoy learning about this digital world so this is time well spent from my end. at this point i would like to ask you about about something i noticed in the scan log i pasted at the beginning of this thread in a section on hosts a list of items high lighted blue that caught my attention these are items i would never in a million years have anything to do with and i'm wondering if these are on my computer and if so i am wondering where they came from as i would want to get to the bottom of an issue like that. i'll end this and wait to hear back, i'm as curious about the host list in the scan log as i am about the browser issue. hope you have a great turkey day and thanks once again

Malware Team-Emeritus

Hi 1oldman,

The steps you have taken so far with regards to the FireFox browser have been the least invasive. I cannot explain why it will not retain the settings you would like. Now although you uninstalled and reinstalled FireFox there is a more extreme uninstall/reinstall step that can be taken, but this time around you would lose all your personal settings (bookmarks, add-ons, history).

If you would like to try this step, let me know and I will post the directions. I might also add, that I cannot guarantee that this step will correct the situation.

Hosts File:

Here is an explanation as to what a Host file is and what it's purpose is.
    http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html

Rest assured that the Host file listed in the logs is of no danger to your system. The Host file is actually a list of sites that are blocked from your system.
    OCD
    ----------
    Graduate of WTT Classroom
    Member of UNITE

Threads will be closed if no response after 5 days

Smile uninstalling firefox/reinstalling

hi, first i would like to say loosing bookmarks,settings etc. would be a step i can certainly live with, they are all easy enough to replace. the main thing i'm after is getting control of my settings back(not to mention keeping control in the future) i would like to understand what went wrong in the first place but one thing at a time. we can if you like wait until after the thanksgiving day to do the firefox fix, might work out better that way for us both if i have questions in the middle of it. about the host log i appreciate the link and i like to read so it won't be wasted. while reading through another post in fact i came across the same listings i was talking about in another log and kind of assumed it was a black list, thanks for confirming that, have a good one. oldman

Malware Team-Emeritus

Hi 1oldman,

Quote Originally Posted by 1oldman View Post
    i would like to understand what went wrong in the first place but one thing at a time.
    Unfortunately, I don't have a definintive answer for what went wrong. Sometimes programs just get a corrupt file and it prevents it from running as designed. Or new software causes a conflict with existing software. There are times when it's just easier to reinstall the program and see if that corrects the problem.
    But even that isn't guaranteed to solve the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by 1oldman View Post
    we can if you like wait until after the thanksgiving day to do the firefox fix, might work out better that way for us both if i have questions in the middle of it.
    I will go ahead and include the instructions for the complete uninstall of Firefox. The proces is fairly straight forward. You can do it at your leisure and post and update when it's convienent. I will answer as time permits.

Show Hidden Files & Folders in Windows 7
    • To show hidden files, just click on the Organize button in any folder, and then select “Folder and Search Options” from the menu.
    • Click the View tab, and then you should select “Show hidden files and folders” in the list.
    • Then click OK.

=========================

Remove Mozilla Firefox Completely:
    • Exit Firefox completely
    • Go to the Control Panel > > Programs and Features
    • Select Mozilla Firefox (all versions, one at a time) and click Uninstall
      • You may be prompted with and option to "Remove my Firefox personal data and customization".
        This will also remove your Firefox user profile data (bookmarks, passwords, cookies, extensions, preferences, etc.)
        DO NOT select this option if you want to keep your Firefox profile data and settings.
    • Delete the Firefox installation directory located here: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox
    • Delete the Firefox folder that contains temporary data located here:
      • C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox
      • C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox (if it exists)
    • Remove the Mozilla Firefox desktop icon if it still is present.

Re-Hide Files and Folders

Reboot

Then go to https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/ and download a new copy of Firefox. Locate the Firefox download file and double click it to install.

After Firefox is installed, make necessary changes to Privacy Settings, be sure to Accept or OK any changes before exiting the menu.

Reboot and test to see if the Privacy Settings have not changed back to Mozilla's default values.

Report back the results, along with any questions or comments.
    OCD
    ----------
    Member of UNITE

Default update

hi, just wanted to touch bases so you know i'm still in the game here. i went through the steps you posted last with no change, at this point i'm giving very good odds that i missed a step or blew it one way or another. i will go over it again a time or two to check that i have got it right before i would want to say its not working. i'll get back soon with the results. thanks oldman.

Malware Team-Emeritus

OCD
    ----------
    Member of UNITE

Cool the continuing saga

hi, hows it going?. well i'm not sure what to make of the settings issue. i went over all the steps outlined and for some reason could not get rid of the firefox or its settings. so i got looking around and noticed that on my admin. desktop the browser was working normally and retaining its settings. what i decided to do was delete the desktop with the issues and make a new one. while this left a few questions unanswered it did solve the problem and things are working fine now. not sure if it was just a software bug or what but just getting the ghostery add-on was worth all the other problems, thats one cool tool and i can't thank you enough.(my wife loves it on her machine also). that being said i would like to leave this thread open for a day or two while i watch my browsers behavior, but i'm very hopeful the problem is solved. thank you for the help and my continuing education in the world of safe surfing, i learned a lot here and the what is hosts link was a good read also. have a good one, oldman

Malware Team-Emeritus

Hi 1oldman,

Just keep me posted and we'll wrap this up when you're ready.
    OCD
    ----------
    Member of UNITE

Default i'm happy

hi again, well i guess the title says it all! my browser is doing what i want with no issues i can see anywhere. can't ask for more than that. this would be a good point to wrap up the thread so i want to say thanks again and have a good one. oldman

Malware Team-Emeritus

Hi 1oldman,

We didn't use many tools other than your opening logs. You can go ahead and delete them and any logs that might have been generated.

This is customary reply after cleaning a computer. There are some items listed that you might find useful. Taking any of these steps is totally optional.

The following procedures are recommendations for helping to keep your system running smoothly. If you are currently satisfied with how your system is running some or all of these may not pertain to you. Implement what you need.

This infection appears to have been cleaned, but I can not give you any absolute guarantees. As a precaution, I would go ahead and change all of your passwords as this is especially important after an infection.

Any of the logs that you created for use in the forums or remaining tools that have not yet been removed can be deleted so they aren't cluttering up your desktop.

Here are some tips to reduce the potential for spyware infection in the future:

Make your Internet Explorer more secure - This can be done by following these simple instructions:
    • From within Internet Explorer click on the Tools menu and then click on Options.
    • Click once on the Security tab
    • Click once on the Internet icon so it becomes highlighted.
    • Click once on the Custom Level button.
    • Change the Download signed ActiveX controls to Prompt
    • Change the Download unsigned ActiveX controls to Disable
    • Change the Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe to Disable
    • Change the Launching programs and files in an IFRAME to Prompt
    • Change the Navigate windows and frames across different domains to Prompt
    • When all these settings have been made, click on the OK button.
    • If it prompts you as to whether or not you want to save the settings, press the Yes button.
    • Next press the Apply button and then the OK to exit the Internet Properties page.

Make your Mozilla Firefox more secure - This can be done by adding these add-ons:

Use and update an anti-virus software - I can not overemphasize the need for you to use and update your anti-virus application on a regular basis. With the ever increasing number of new variants of malware arriving on the scene daily, you become very susceptible to an attack without updated protection.

Free Anti-Virus

Free Firewall
    Using a third-party firewall will allow you to give/deny access for applications that want to go online. Without a firewall your computer is susceptible to being hacked and taken over. Simply using a firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly. A tutorial on firewalls can be found here.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Be prepared for CryptoLocker:

Cryptolocker Ransomware: What You Need To Know
    CryptoLocker Ransomware Information Guide and FAQ

to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free program:

CryptoPrevent install this program to lock down and prevent crypto-ransomeware

COMPUTER SECURITY - a short guide to staying safer online

WOT Web of Trust, warns you about risky websites that try to scam visitors, deliver malware or send spam. Protect your computer against online threats by using WOT as your front-line layer of protection when browsing or searching in unfamiliar territory. WOT's color-coded icons show you ratings for 21 million websites - green to go, yellow for caution and red to stop, helping you avoid the dangerous sites. WOT has an addon available for both Firefox and IE.
    • Green should be good to go
    • Yellow for caution
    • Red to stop

P2P may be a great way to get lots of stuffs, but it is a great way to get infected as well. There's no way to tell if the file being shared is infected. Worse still, some worms spread via P2P networks, infecting you as well.

Please read these short reports on the dangers of peer-2-peer programs and file sharing.

Make sure you keep your Windows OS current.
    • Windows XP:
      Microsoft will no longer offer support for Windows XP beginning on April 8, 2014
      If you are running Windows XP, please take the time to read the information provided at these links.
    • Windows Vista/7 users can open the Start menu > All Programs > Windows Update > Check for Updates (in left hand task pane) to update these systems.
    • Window 8 Open Windows Update by swiping in from the right edge of the screen (or, if you're using a mouse, pointing to the lower-right corner of the screen and moving the mouse pointer up), tapping or clicking Settings, tapping or clicking Change PC settings, and then tapping or clicking Update and recovery.

Without these you are leaving the back door open.

Consider a custom hosts file such as MVPS HOSTS. This custom hosts file effectively blocks a wide range of unwanted ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and many hijackers. For information on how to download and install, please read this tutorial by WinHelp2002
    Note: Be sure to follow the instructions to disable the DNS Client service before installing a custom hosts file.

Finally, I strongly recommend that you read TonyKlein's good advice So how did I get infected in the first place?

Please reply to this thread once more if you are satisfied so that we can mark the problem as resolved.
    OCD
    ----------
    Member of UNITE