Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Persistant problem :(

:(

I think my restore points were purged

Security Expert-emeritus Juliet's Avatar

yikes!

Let's try a clean boot.

Clean Boot
    • Press the Windows Key + r on your keyboard at the same time. Type msconfig and click OK.
    • If prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type the password, or provide confirmation.
    • In the General tab, click Selective Startup.
    • Remove the checkmark next to Load startup items.
    • Click the Services tab.
    • Place a checkmark next to Hide all Microsoft services.
    • Click Disable all, followed by OK.
    • When prompted, click Restart and boot normally into Windows.
    • Check your computer startup performance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Test the machine for a bit then try the next

Troubleshooting in Clean Boot Environment
    • Press the Windows Key + r on your keyboard at the same time. Type msconfig and click OK.
    • Click the Services tab.
    • Ensure there is a checkmark next to Hide all Microsoft services.
    • Place a checkmark in half of the unchecked items and reboot your computer.
    • If your symptoms reappear, uncheck an item, reboot your computer and see if your symptoms disappear. Repeat the process as necessary.
    • If your symptoms do not reappear, check an additional item, reboot your computer and see if your symptoms reappear. Repeat the process as necessary.
    • List the programm(es) causing issues in your next reply.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The above may or may not have any effect, we can also try Creating New User Profile to see if the issues are still there.

How to create a new user account in Windows 7

Testing New User Profile
    • Press the Windows Key + r on your keyboard at the same time. Type cmd and click OK.
    • Type the following at the command prompt, pressing the Enter key after each line.

net user temp /add

net localgroup administrators temp /add

• ~~~~Reboot~~~~ your computer, and log into the temp user account.
    Windows Insider MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2017
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Thanks again for your patience, tolerance and for giving me a logical approach

Maybe my PC just needed restarting again? I went through the process of selecting services to start on boot, and was surprised when I had all the services selected and a reasonable iexplorer.exe *32 size.

I can open 5 tabs at different locations and then reduce back to this one and the size is 70,000k - 85,000k (higher for this reply page).

tskmgr4.jpg

Is that a normal size?

NB with no services at all (other than MS ones) the same test was giving me a size of 60,000k - 61,000k

Myself, I don't use IE so I can't tell or say what is and what isn't but, what I did see on the image was
    100 processes and CPU was at 3%

One thing to note was seeing items loaded that are not needed. I am curious tho, seeing some that might could pull on IE if needed?

If you don't know some programs listed there or unsure if they are needed or not, leave them enabled, or use RubberDucky's StartUpLite

This will display all unnecessary startup entries - so actually, everything it displays there is not necessary to start up with Windows.
    The choice is up to you whether you need some to start up with Windows (in that case, select "No action" for them) - but you can always start them manually via start > all programs.
    (Do not choose the "Remove" checkboxes, because this will delete it from the Registry - only select the "Remove" checkboxes if you are sure you don't want to enable them again in the future)

Or we can run HJT

Download HijackThis .
    • Save HijackThis.exe to your desktop.
    • Doubleclick on the HijackThis.exe icon on your desktop.
    • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis .
    • Click on Install.
    • It will create a HijackThis icon on the desktop.
    • Once installed, it will launch Hijackthis.
    • Click on the Do a system scan and save a logfile button. It will scan and the log should open in notepad.
    • Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
    • DO NOT use the AnalyseThis button, its findings are dangerous if misinterpreted.
    • DO NOT have Hijackthis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Thanks

I ran RubberDucky's start up lite. It only identified the java updater. I have disabled that.

My HJT

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.5
    Scan saved at 09:44:11, on 23/12/2014
    Platform: Windows 7 SP1 (WinNT 6.00.3505)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v11.0 (11.00.9600.17496)

FIREFOX: 29.0.1 (en-GB)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\Update Core\NvBackend.exe
    C:\Program Files\VIA XHCI UASP Utility\usb3Monitor.exe
    C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\avastui.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver\Application\iusb3mon.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe
    Z:\Program Files (x86)\Logitech\LWS\Webcam Software\LWS.exe
    Z:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    Z:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 4.0\apdproxy.exe
    Z:\Program Files (x86)\Logitech\LWS\Webcam Software\CameraHelperShell.exe
    C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorIcon.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Xfire\Xfire.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
    C:\PROGRA~2\Brother\Ptedit51\Ptedit51.exe
    C:\Users\Vince and Mel\Desktop\internet protection\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.uk/
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
    O3 - Toolbar: Canon Easy-WebPrint EX - {759D9886-0C6F-4498-BAB6-4A5F47C6C72F} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Canon\Easy-WebPrint EX\ewpexhlp.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AvastUI.exe] "C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastUI.exe" /nogui
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [USB3MON] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller Driver\Application\iusb3mon.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MobileBroadband] C:\Program Files (x86)\Vodafone\Vodafone Mobile Broadband\Bin\MobileBroadband.exe /silent
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LWS] Z:\Program Files (x86)\Logitech\LWS\Webcam Software\LWS.exe -hide
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "Z:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Photo Downloader] "Z:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 4.0\apdproxy.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [PreRun] C:\Program Files (x86)\GIGABYTE\AppCenter\PreRun.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [Adobe Speed Launcher] 1419286514
    O11 - Options group: [ACCELERATED_GRAPHICS] Accelerated graphics
    O16 - DPF: {7530BFB8-7293-4D34-9923-61A11451AFC5} (OnlineScanner Control) - http://download.eset.com/special/eos/OnlineScanner.cab
    O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{7796727F-F0FD-46AE-8DB4-48D883925147}: NameServer = 10.203.128.1 10.203.128.1
    O18 - Protocol: osf - {D924BDC6-C83A-4BD5-90D0-095128A113D1} - Z:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office15\MSOSB.DLL
    O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~2\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
    O18 - Filter hijack: text/xml - {807583E5-5146-11D5-A672-00B0D022E945} - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\OFFICE15\MSOXMLMF.DLL
    O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\nvinit.dll
    O23 - Service: Adobe Active File Monitor V4 (AdobeActiveFileMonitor4.0) - Unknown owner - Z:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 4.0\PhotoshopElementsFileAgent.exe
    O23 - Service: Adobe Acrobat Update Service (AdobeARMservice) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\armsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Adobe Flash Player Update Service (AdobeFlashPlayerUpdateSvc) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\FlashPlayerUpdateService.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Alg.exe,-112 (ALG) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\alg.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: AllShare Framework DMS - Samsung - C:\Program Files\Samsung\AllShare Framework DMS\1.3.23\AllShareFrameworkManagerDMS.exe
    O23 - Service: AMD External Events Utility - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\atiesrxx.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    O23 - Service: AppleChargerSrv - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\AppleChargerSrv.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - AVAST Software - C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: AvastVBox COM Service (AvastVBoxSvc) - Avast Software - C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\ng\vbox\AvastVBoxSVC.exe
    O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) Content Protection HECI Service (cphs) - Intel Corporation - C:\Windows\SysWow64\IntelCpHeciSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\efssvc.dll,-100 (EFS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\fxsresm.dll,-118 (Fax) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\fxssvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: GIGABYTE Adjust (gadjservice) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Gigabyte\AppCenter\AdjustService.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA GeForce Experience Service (GfExperienceService) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\GeForce Experience Service\GfExperienceService.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdatem) (gupdatem) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology (IAStorDataMgrSvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology\IAStorDataMgrSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) Integrated Clock Controller Service - Intel(R) ICCS (ICCS) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Integrated Clock Controller Service\ICCProxy.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ieetwcollectorres.dll,-1000 (IEEtwCollectorService) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\IEEtwCollector.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) Capability Licensing Service Interface - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\HeciServer.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) Capability Licensing Service TCP IP Interface - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\SocketHeciServer.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) Dynamic Application Loader Host Interface Service (jhi_service) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL\jhi_service.exe
    O23 - Service: @keyiso.dll,-100 (KeyIso) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel(R) Management and Security Application Local Management Service (LMS) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\LMS\LMS.exe
    O23 - Service: @comres.dll,-2797 (MSDTC) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\msdtc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\System32\netlogon.dll,-102 (Netlogon) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Network Service (NvNetworkService) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\NetService\NvNetworkService.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Streamer Service (NvStreamSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NvStreamSrv\nvstreamsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: PnkBstrA - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\PnkBstrA.exe
    O23 - Service: PnkBstrB - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\PnkBstrB.exe
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\psbase.dll,-300 (ProtectedStorage) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\Locator.exe,-2 (RpcLocator) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\locator.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\samsrv.dll,-1 (SamSs) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Samsung Link Service - Copyright 2013 SAMSUNG - Z:\Program Files\samsung\Samsung Link\Samsung Link.exe
    O23 - Service: Skype Updater (SkypeUpdate) - Skype Technologies - C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Updater\Updater.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\snmptrap.exe,-3 (SNMPTRAP) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\snmptrap.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\spoolsv.exe,-1 (Spooler) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\sppsvc.exe,-101 (sppsvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\sppsvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Steam Client Service - Valve Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Steam\SteamService.exe
    O23 - Service: NVIDIA Stereoscopic 3D Driver Service (Stereo Service) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\3D Vision\nvSCPAPISvr.exe
    O23 - Service: TomTomHOMEService - TomTom - Z:\Program Files (x86)\TomTom HOME 2\TomTomHOMEService.exe
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\ui0detect.exe,-101 (UI0Detect) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\UI0Detect.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vaultsvc.dll,-1003 (VaultSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\lsass.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\vds.exe,-100 (vds) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\System32\vds.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Vodafone Mobile Broadband Service (VmbService) - Vodafone - C:\Program Files (x86)\Vodafone\Vodafone Mobile Broadband\Bin\VmbService.exe
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\vssvc.exe,-102 (VSS) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\vssvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatUX.exe,-601 (WatAdminSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%systemroot%\system32\wbengine.exe,-104 (wbengine) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbengine.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%Systemroot%\system32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe,-110 (wmiApSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\wbem\WmiApSrv.exe (file missing)
    O23 - Service: @%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe,-101 (WMPNetworkSvc) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Media Player\wmpnetwk.exe (file missing)

--
    End of file - 10810 bytes

These are valid programs but are not required to run on startup.

Open HijackThis, Click Do a system scan only, checkmark these. Then close all other windows and browsers except HijackThis and press fix checked.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LWS] Z:\Program Files (x86)\Logitech\LWS\Webcam Software\LWS.exe -hide
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "Z:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Photo Downloader] "Z:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 4.0\apdproxy.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\RunOnce: [Adobe Speed Launcher] 1419286514

Now reboot the computer to set the registry.

If needed later every entry can be reset by using MSCONFIG and placing a check by the service,

Thanks again for the support... I will do this as soon as I return from the festivities in a few days.

I hope you all have a great Christmas.

Vince

ahh Vince thank you.

Happy Holidays to you too!

still need help?