Thread: Slow and freezing lenovo after email received from canada

Unhappy Slow and freezing lenovo after email received from canada

I have a lenovo running on windows 7. I received an email from canada headed "message for teacherpilly" with a friends email address as sender. I opened it to find only an old b&w photo from a newspaper? Since then my pc has begun to freeze and run very slowly a few minutes after start up. I also found that whatever the malware that was attached to this email loaded probably 100 or so new addresses into my contact folder. I have run my norton 360 premier multiple times on separate days but the problem persists. I am exasperated and now have no idea what to do. I am 67 and only use this machine for emailing, word processing,saving photos,spotify and internet searching. Additionally a pop up appears regularly showing a graph of very high cpu utilization even when only typing this for example. Any one out there know how to help an old guy with zero computer knowledge?

Hello TEACHERPILLY,

Could you produce the logs as detailed in the forum FAQ please, then I will merge your posts and remove mine.

Guidelines are in post #1 and instructions in post #2 on how to provide the logs from Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and aswMBR, which are the logs used in the preliminary analysis.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Then a helper will advise and guide.

Best regards.
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016

Default Malware on lenovo

Quote Originally Posted by tashi View Post
    Hello TEACHERPILLY,

Could you produce the logs as detailed in the forum FAQ please, then I will merge your posts and remove mine.

Guidelines are in post #1 and instructions in post #2 on how to provide the logs from Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and aswMBR, which are the logs used in the preliminary analysis.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Then a helper will advise and guide.

Best regards.
    Hi,

Sorry for delay but my Norton will not let me down load the FRST saying it is not trustworthy!! Tweaking.com went well.
    I apologise but I was not certain even what a log was or how to send it to any one.
    How can I get round the failed FRST download please?
    TEACHERPILLY.

Hello TEACHERPILLY,

That happens sometimes, could you run and produce the aswMBR log?

Either way please start a new topic as helpers look for ones without a response, explain the issue and provide a link back to this thread.

Which is: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?71605-Slow-and-freezing-lenovo-after-email-received-from-canada&p=459819#post459819

Thank you!
    Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2018-
    Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
    Microsoft Consumer Security MVP 2006-2016