Thread: How does it work

Default How does it work

I set up a new account on a computer running Win 8.1 and Spybot. Part of the setup was to redirect the "Documents", "Music", etc from the standard location on the C: drive (a SSD) to the E: HD. I ran a scan when I finished and the changes showed up as Tracks caused by a registry change. If I had fixed those would it have reversed all my changes to the registry? Is there a consolidated Spybot Users manual that will explain some of what is probably obvious to those of you that have used Spybot extensively?

Which version of Spybot do you have?

Default How does it work?

I have version 2. It seems to me that Version 1.6 displayed more information. I probably find a Tutorial that defines the categories and gives recommend actions.

Not really a full tutorial,but it covers tracks in general:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/usage-tracks/

As for the registry change listed,no,it most likely would not have reversed all your changes in the registry concerning moving the documents folder,etc,to another drive.Tracks are mainly concerned with removing information that others might possibly view on your computer,as described in the link I posted above.
    To help explain that,it would be helpful if you posted your spybot scan,and point out the registry changes you're concerned with,so that I can explain them.

To post your checks.logfile,Open Spybot start center,checkmark advanced mode,click Report Creator,then Show Logs over to the right,then scroll down until you see the checks logfile with the date of the scan where the registry changes happened appended to the end of it.
    As an example of what a checks logfile with the date appended to it looks like,here's the name of one of my checks logfiles from December 21st of two years ago:Checks.131221-0703.txt
    Doubleclick the checks logfile,and notepad will open.Highlight the portion of the logfile with the registry changes,then copy and paste it here.