Thread: SDFSSVC causing slowdown

Default SDFSSVC causing slowdown

Since updating from Spybot 1.6.2 to 2.4.40, my system has been very slow when browsing the internet, using either Firefox or Chrome. CPU usage was regularly at 100%, and the culprit appears to be the Spybot Scanner service, SDFSSvc.exe. I have therefore disabled this service, and all is OK again.

Is this a known problem, and is there any fix for it?

I am running Windows Vista on an Acer Aspire.

It's possible that you might have experienced internet slowness if you had the proxy enabled,some people on the forums have mentioned that happening sometimes.When you disabled the Spybot Scanner service,that would make the Spybot proxy not work,which might explain regaining speed.

Leaving the service disabled would work.But the scanner service is also listed for being responsible for scanning single files,etc,so if you would like to use those things,you could open Spybot start center,click advanced user mode,then Settings,System Services tab,re-enable the scanner service,then click the Internet Protection tab,and check to be sure Use Spybot proxy is unchecked,then click Apply and Ok.
    Or you could leave the service disabled if you don't scan single files,if you prefer to,it's up to you.

Thanks for your reply. I seem to remember being asked about the proxy when I installed 2.4, and I think I chose the Spybot proxy. But it is unchecked on the Internet Protection tab - I presume from your reply that this has happened automatically as a result of turning off the scanning service? Anyway, I've now re-enabled the scanning service, and it seems to be OK at the moment, so I'll see how it goes.
    Last edited by xerxes; 2015-01-16 at 14:48.

No,it looks like the checkmark remains by the proxy,but becomes greyed out when I double checked it just now.I mistakenly thought I remembered that it became unchecked when scanner service was disabled,so didn't look initially.Sorry about that.