Thread: USB Flash Drive not Reconized

Question USB Flash Drive not Reconized

I was trying out Spybot 2.4 free addition and after I installed it I could no longer access my USB Flash drives. They were not recognized. I had to uninstall Spybot in order to use them. Is this an issue with Spybot or just the free addition? Is there a setting to disable that feature and or enable Spybot Free addition to recognize USB Flash drives?

I would like very much to try Spybot out for a while and if it is as good as the reports about it that I have read purchase it but I must have use of my USB Flash drives this is a daily need for me.

If you open Spybot start center,checkmark advanced mode,click Settings,then System Integration,there is Autoplay (current user),or Autoplay (global),which adds Spybot file scan to actions offered when connecting external media,but it's not intended to make your USB Flash drives unaccessible.I don't see anything else within Spybot that should affect that,either.I searched the forum,but that doesn't seem to be a known bug.

That's not to say that it's not Spybot causing it,just that I can't find anything that should affect that.
    Is there any chance it could have been a coincidence?

Default USB Flash Drive not Reconized

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    If you open Spybot start center,checkmark advanced mode,click Settings,then System Integration,there is Autoplay (current user),or Autoplay (global),which adds Spybot file scan to actions offered when connecting external media,but it's not intended to make your USB Flash drives unaccessible.I don't see anything else within Spybot that should affect that,either.I searched the forum,but that doesn't seem to be a known bug.

That's not to say that it's not Spybot causing it,just that I can't find anything that should affect that.
    Is there any chance it could have been a coincidence?
    Thanks for the reply and info.

I will download and install spybot again and try that setting. Like I said after I installed spybot it no longer even saw my flash drive. In other wards if the flash drive was F: drive when I plugged in my flash drive my system did not even see F: drive nor did it acknowledge that I plugged in a USB device at all. After I uninstalled spybot that problem was resolved. So the problem did come from spybot and was resolved by removing it.

I will post the result of the new install and setting change.

Hopefully this will resolve the problem.

Default Stick with Spybot!

Quote Originally Posted by finn111 View Post
    I was trying out Spybot 2.4 free addition and after I installed it I could no longer access my USB Flash drives. They were not recognized. I had to uninstall Spybot in order to use them. Is this an issue with Spybot or just the free addition? Is there a setting to disable that feature and or enable Spybot Free addition to recognize USB Flash drives?

I would like very much to try Spybot out for a while and if it is as good as the reports about it that I have read purchase it but I must have use of my USB Flash drives this is a daily need for me.
    Malware bytes, too many come in, Stick with Spybot-Search& Destroy&-AV,at least home, if not Pro!, it is definitely worth the cost, & the unlimited help & Tools on this Site, are worth it, Have used Spybot through many versions of Windows, Sometimes in an emergency, where it Shone through, Now I've thrown Malwarebytes in the Garbage, & Will Stick with & Praise Spybot, to all who will Listen.

Thumbs up Re-install worked

Quote Originally Posted by finn111 View Post
    Thanks for the reply and info.

I will download and install spybot again and try that setting. Like I said after I installed spybot it no longer even saw my flash drive. In other wards if the flash drive was F: drive when I plugged in my flash drive my system did not even see F: drive nor did it acknowledge that I plugged in a USB device at all. After I uninstalled spybot that problem was resolved. So the problem did come from spybot and was resolved by removing it.

I will post the result of the new install and setting change.

Hopefully this will resolve the problem.
    I re-downloaded spybot and re-installed it and it works proper now. My system recognizes a USB Flash drive when plugged in. Another thing that I discovered was when I first installed spybot and had the USB Flash drive issue when I clicked on UPDATE I got an error message and I thought that the free version simply could not update definitions. After the re-install that works fine now. I think I must have had some sort of corruption with either the first download or install. All is well now.

Good,glad to hear it.