Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Parents let grandkids download games...bad idea, need some help please!!!

Great! Thanks.

Looks like its moving a lot faster. The reboot seemed smoother and there is less lag in response. I'm still seeing Physical Memory at over 55% which seems very high and there isn't even much HP bloatware running.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Security Expert-emeritus Juliet's Avatar

If there are any personal files, pics, etc. on your computer you cannot live without, back them up now just as a precaution.
    Emergency Backup Procedure - Tech Support Forum

Please print out or make a copy in notepad of any instructions given, as sometimes it is necessary to go offline and you will lose access to them.

How to use ComboFix

Download ComboFix from here:
    Link 1
    Link 2
    Link 3

Place ComboFix.exe on your Desktop <--Important
    • Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, usually via a right click on the System Tray icon. They may otherwise interfere with ComboFix.
      * Ensure you have disabled all anti virus and anti malware programs so they do not interfere with the running of ComboFix.

You can get help on disabling your protection programs here
    • Double click on ComboFix.exe & follow the prompts.
    • You may be asked to install or update the Recovery Console (Win XP Only) if this happens please allow it to do so (you will need to be connected to the internet for this)
    • Your desktop may go blank. This is normal. It will return when ComboFix is done. Combofix may need to reboot your computer more than once to do its job this is normal.
    • When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Post that log in your next reply

Note:
      Do not mouseclick combofix's window whilst it's running. That may cause it to stall.

Note 2: If you receive an error "Illegal operation attempted on a registry key that has been marked for deletion." Please restart the computer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • Ensure your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications are re-enabled.

Note: ComboFix may reset a number of Internet Explorer's settings, including making it the default browser.
      Note: Combofix prevents autorun of ALL CDs, floppies and USB devices to assist with malware removal & increase security.
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    • If there are Internet issues after running ComboFix:
      Internet Explorer:
      Tools Menu -> Internet Options -> Connections Tab ->Lan Settings > uncheck "use a proxy server" and check to "Automatically detect settings". Also clear any proxy address and port. ok, apply (only if applicable), ok.
      Firefox:
      Tools Menu -> Options... -> Advanced Tab -> Network Tab -> "Settings" under Connection. "No Proxy" should be selected, unless you have one set up yourself.
      Chrome:
      Select -> Tools menu -> then "Options", then go to "Change Proxy Settings", then "LAN Settings" , then take out the check mark for "Use a proxy server for your LAN" if set, unless you set this up yourself.
      Safari
      Launch Safari
      Go to general settings menu
      Then in Preferences/ Advanced
      Then on line click Proxies change settings ...
      Click Internet Options, then click the Connections tab, click Network Settings.
      Disable option (uncheck) for the use of proxy server ...
    Windows Insider MVP Consumer Security 2009 - 2017
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Juliet...back up has been taking longer than I thought as I'm pulling files, scanning them and then moving them to an external drive. There are tons of Excel files from my father's business that seem to be corrupted too.

I've just been called away on business and will not be returning until Thursday so i would be outside of the 3 day window but wanted to let you know how much I have appreciated your help on this massive infection. I plan to run the last full step when I return on Thursday.

Thank you again for everything!

Please be careful traveling.
    Post results when you return.
    Please do not PM me for Malware help, we all benefit from posting on the open board.

Still need help?

Yes. Just got back from travel as weather provided some extra opportunities to travel. I am running Combo Fix now. Will post the outcomes shortly.

Thanks for checking on me!!!

Here is the outcome of the Combofix.
    Attached Files Attached Files

How's the computer now?

still need help?

Well it still seems to be running high on physical memory use but at the moment that may be due to updating things since I've had it disconnected from the internet while working on it and only connected to update items as directed.

I did notice I opened chrome and it showed 11 instances in the task manager, that make me think something is still a little screwy there. There is still a program called Home and Business Attorney installed that will not let me uninstall, keeps giving me an error. Message box is titled "Wise Uninstall", message reads "Could not open INSTALL.LOG file."