Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: allowed registry change pop-up

Default allowed registry change pop-up

Hi All....I need your help......
    I've had AOL for years and Spybot since 2003--now with version 1.4 and regular updates.....
    About a month ago, I installed an AOL Connectivity Update.....Since then, I get a TeaTime pop-up reminding me of the allowed registry change....This happens every time I log on to the computer....And of course, it's adding an entry in the TeaTimer log every time.....
    I'd like to stop these pop-ups....I think I know how but I'd like confirmation etc....Here's what I think I need to do:
    1----Rt Click Spybot in Sys Tray
    2----Click EXIT Spybot S&D Resident
    3----Using Windows Explorer, go to C>Prog>Spybot>TeaTimer
    4----Double-click TeaTimer to re-start it
    Is this right...??
    Thanx
    Dell Dimension 2300 / Pent 4 / WinXP-SP2 / IE 7 / AVG 8(Free) / SpybotS&D 1.5/ AdAware 2007/ HJT / AOL 9 Security Edition S E

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Right.

If the cause of the problem is because TeaTimer's snapshot files are out of sync with the registry, that should solve the problem. If the reason that the messages are coming up is because AOL is re-adding the registry entry at each startup, it will not.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default allowed registry change pop-up

I'll try the steps to see what happens....

Thanx for your help.....
    Dell Dimension 2300 / Pent 4 / WinXP-SP2 / IE 7 / AVG 8(Free) / SpybotS&D 1.5/ AdAware 2007/ HJT / AOL 9 Security Edition S E

I followed the steps but ran into a puzzle.....

I share the computer with my husband....We each have a separate Windows Sign On (as well as separate Aol screen names etc)....

I was logged onto my Windows Sign On when I "Exited" the TeaTimer....I then logged off of My "side" and logged onto Husband's "side"....I wanted to see if I need to follow the same steps on his side etc......Once His Desktop came up, a Spybot pop-up appeared....It said---"Winlogon...Value changed...DefaultUser Name"......It also showed "old data" with my name and "new data" with his name.....I "X'd" the pop-up which 'denied' the change......

I logged off of Husbands and went back over and logged on to My 'side'.....No pop-up.....

I checked the TeaTimer log and found the following entry--

9/10/2006 6:12:19 AM Denied value "DefaultUserName" (new data: "Roy") changed in Winlogon!

***There are no further entries about the AOL Host etc...I've been back and forth between both Windows LogOns as well as logging onto AOL on both....So, I 'think' the AOL issue is ok......

But-now I'm facing how to handle resolution of the "DefaultUserName" issue...

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.....Thanx

Other people have made the same observation when switching user accounts. See:

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thanx for the reference.....I was hoping it was gonna give me steps to resolve....Sadly, it didn't......

In my case, the pop-up is just with my husbands account...It doesn't happen when I log onto mine.....And, neither of us has checked the block "remember this change"......So, bringing up the Settings shows nothing in the Blocked Registry Changes category......

Any other suggestions.....??.........Thanx

Actually the registry entry is changed when you logon back onto your account also. However, because TeaTimer's snapshot files contain your username in the "DefaultUserName" entry it is not recognized by TeaTimer as a change.

Hi md usa spybot fan......That's what I thought.....So, should I start over again but this time Exit TeaTimer on each account before re-activating on each....??

Thanx for your reply and any additional help.....

I do not think that you are going to be able get around the "DefaultUserName" change by refreshing TeaTimer's snapshot files. The value that is being changed is stored in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry hive which is common to all accounts on the system. The TeaTimer snapshot file for this entry (RegGNTCVWL-Global.reg) is also common to all accounts. So no matter what user account you refresh TeaTimer's snapshot files from, the entry will contain that user's name (unless you logged on to that account using quick switch). Every time you logon to the other user's account (not using quick switch) TeaTimer will recognize it as a change.

I suggest that the next time you get a TeaTimer dialog message for "DefaultUserName" do an "Allow change" with a "Remember this decision" and just let the change occur in the future.

Hi md usa spybot fan....

Was sure hoping you were gonna say that my suggestion would work....A girl can dream...!!!....

As much as I like Spybot (and it's added protection of TeaTimer), I must say each time I run into a problem it has to do with our 2 account set-up and/or TeaTimer.....ie---I even have to do scans on each account...

I have AVG and AdAware too and each of them handles everything from one account for the whole system......

I sure hope the next version of Spybot will eliminate this 'more than one account' problem....

Again, thanx for your help on this...