Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: allowed registry change pop-up

Hi md usa spybot fan---again..

I re-read your response and it raises a question.....You said----"Every time you logon to the other user's account (not using quick switch) TeaTimer will recognize it as a change."........

I'm familiar with the "switch" feature but neither my husband nor I ever use it...We always 'totally' log off...In fact, the only time I go from one account to another is to do a Spybot scan.....

My point is---When you say ----"Every time you logon...etc.."----Are you saying we should have been getting the "DefaultUserName" pop-up all along since we don't use the "switch" feature....??....
    We've never had the "DefaultUserName" pop-up until 9/10/06.....(the day I resolved the "Host Manager" pop-up caused by the AOL update).....

Sorry to drag this issue out like this...I just want to be sure I have a correct understanding of this......Thanx again and again.....I really appreciate you time on this.......
    Dell Dimension 2300 / Pent 4 / WinXP-SP2 / IE 7 / AVG 8(Free) / SpybotS&D 1.5/ AdAware 2007/ HJT / AOL 9 Security Edition S E

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

codysmom:

A great deal of the following is speculation however I think it is factual.

It appears that when TeaTimer starts it reads the registry keys it is monitoring for changes and compares them with its snapshot files. Any discrepancies are handled by TeaTimer as changes to the registry. After this initial comparison with the snapshot files everything is handled in memory and the snapshot files are only rewritten when TeaTimer terminates.

The problem that you encountered with the AOL registry entry stemmed from the fact the TeaTimer's snapshot files were out of sync with the register because it appears that during logoff or system shutdown TeaTimer is terminated before the snapshot files are refreshed. You were able to correct this by refreshing the snapshot files.

It appears that the monitoring of the following registry entry was not one of the original registry entries monitored by TeaTimer:
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    "DefaultUserName"="username"
    The monitoring of that registry entry appears that it may have been added with the 2006-05-05 updates (not really sure of the date). Although TeaTimer was monitoring that registry entry for changes, without a snapshot file of that registry entry to compare it against it was not recognizing changes to that registry entry at startup. By refreshing TeaTimer's snapshot files to fix the AOL entry problem you created the snapshot file that is now reporting the "DefaultUserName" change at startup.

If I am correct in my explanation of your observations, then you started using TeaTimer prior to when TeaTimer started monitoring the "DefaultUserName" entry on 2006-05-05 and the create date of the following snapshot file would be 2006-09-10 when you refreshed TeaTimer's snapshot files:
    • C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Snapshots\RegGNTCVWL-Global

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

md usa spybot fan

You're absolutely right.....Upgraded to ver 1.4 (from 1.3) in Jan, 06 with TeaTimer turned on; doing updates monthly.....

Having done various 'installs' of software; updates; etc that involved turning TeaTimer off and back on...and never running into this problem, it now makes sense to find out one of the Spybot updates changed the way TeaTimer handles the snapshot files.....

So I guess it comes down to, as you suggested "accepting and remembering" the change and be done with it.......

Thanx for the explanation.....
    Dell Dimension 2300 / Pent 4 / WinXP-SP2 / IE 7 / AVG 8(Free) / SpybotS&D 1.5/ AdAware 2007/ HJT / AOL 9 Security Edition S E