Thread: Not sure how to handle resluts of scan

Question Not sure how to handle resluts of scan

I have been experiencing some weird stuff on my computer since rebuilding it a few weeks ago. I decided to run SpyBot 1.4, and it found 27 items of junk.

I removed all, but did not know what to make of three items tagged: Microsoft Windows Security Center_Disabled, Windows Security Center.Anitvirus Disable, and Windows Security Center.FirewallDisable Notify.

Are they in need of removal? Are they even turned on? And last but not least - have they been causing some of my problems?

My computer is three years old. It's a Toshiba Satellite A25 S207. I had a very corrupt PageMaker file bring it down this summer so badly that upon restart the GUI would not open any folders or files. I unsuccessfully restarting five or six times, I started up in Safe Mode and backed everything up to a 2G jump drive.

Since rebuilding, I have been experiencing hangs on startup, icons disappearing for 30 to 40 seconds when double clicking a folder, and really slow Excel file opening. Last week my CMOS battery gave up the ghost and the computer no longer will hold time settings (although strangely the date is always correct)!

I am beginning to think that the hard drive is failing, although it makes no strange noises.

Norton's Protection Center is set to run each time I boot, and it always says the "Installed programs are working correctly."

Any ideas? Should I remove the three items mentioned above? Are they possibly running a conflict with Norton's?

Is it time to start looking for a new computer?

Thanks for your help,

Daniel

Also,I got those three same detections when I had Norton Internet Security 2006:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...77&postcount=5

In Norton's Options(sorry,I can't remember the exact location) you could choose to "Show messages from Windows Security Center".But,I got those detections with Spybot because I chose to let Norton's Protection Center handle the type of things that Windows Security Center did when I was installing it,and I believe Norton does that to avoid double warning messages from Windows Security Center and Norton,so it's up to you.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zenobia View Post
    In Norton's Options(sorry,I can't remember the exact location) you could choose to "Show messages from Windows Security Center".
    Member bordello describes how to prevent Norton from turning off the alerts in the following post:

In this thread:

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Hey,I was looking for that post.How the heck did you find it?
    Lol,thanks.