Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Windows security Center Disabled

md usa spybot fan, no, thank you for your concern though. I've always maintained a well-configured, up to date AV program and do regular scans. I also use a router with hardware firewalls and have multiple layers of spyware/adware programs which I update and scan with regularly.

My choice of browsers has been Firefox since it was first released to the public, so I believe I have an edge on security there.

Red face Windows Security Center IS Enabled, Help Please

Hello to all who will read this;

Please bear with me as this is my first post.

I did several Spybot S&D scans since I re-installed on 2-5-07 due to the fact it was having problems downloading the current updates for 2-2-2007 on my computer.

I also did have AVG 7.5 Internet Security running at same time ALONG with Windows Live OneCare. I did have at the time of updating the Windows Live OneCare Antivirus and Firewall disabled, as I always did when ever I used used the AVG 7.5 Internet Security Center.

When calling Windows Live OneCare regarding them both having Firewalls they told me (for what this is worth) that the Windows Live OneCare Firewall was a better Firewall than the one that comes with Windows XP Home and when you install Windows Live OneCare that Firewall will override it as will any Firewall that is installed on your PC. (I am sure you know this, tossing it in for the hay of it, t/x)

Due to the problems AVG and OneCare (I am assuming) was giving me I also Unistalled this Program AVG 7.5 Internet Security.

Please Note that before I unstalled both Spybot and AVG that I always received the message regarding: Microsoft Windows Security Center Warning being disabled, yet I uncheck this as I knew I had disabled it. So no problem understanding why it detected it then only now.

I also Rebooted my PC after both of these programs had been unistalled.

When I re-installed Spybot S&D I also did a Re-Boot again

I am "only" running Windows Live OneCare right now.

I have gone to the Windows Security Center and made sure my Firewall was working and was set to "Automatic" along with "Automatic" Updates and "Antivirus Monitoring" and all 3 showing in green (good to go, so I think?) The Security Center also shows that all are "go to go" as it states it is Using "Windows Live OneCare" for all three.

I also did this check>>Control Panel>>Security Center>>Resources and when I clicked on the link "Change the way the Security Center Alerts me:" What I found was that all three where checked.

I did another scan with Spybot and still it shows that I have Windows Security Center disabled and with 2 entries.

Please guide me and help me understand what it is that is not functionally.

My OS is Windows XP Home/SP2. I run CCleaner 1.37.456, Ad-Adware SE Personal build 1.6r1 and updated 2-6-07, Spyblaster 3.5.1, Spybot S&D 1.4 (when downloading I chose the first download from Internet #1). Then manually also SuperAntiSpware 3.5.1016. I have drweb-cureit (Dr. Web Ltd.) and use it only when and "if" I have to. I have noticed when I check the properties on this application (under Genereal Tab) Security reads: "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer; then the button "UNBLOCK." I was instructed to download this to help with a problem a few months ago. Unfornately, I am not to secure with the fact of that Security reading.

I too run a Panada Online Scan and right now it tells me this:
    (Please Note: when I did a Search for all of these they showed up has Zip files in SpyBot S&D?? Which is why I am including this information with this post. Again, please bear with me, I am trying NOT to leave out any pertinent
    informatoin, t/x

Incident: Potentially unwanted tool:application/funweb
    Location: c:\windows\downloaded program files\f3initialsetup1.0.0.15.inf

Incident: Potentially unwanted tool:application/mywebsearch
    Location: hkey_classes_root\clsid\{147A976E-EEE1-4377-8EA7-4716E4CDD239

Incident: Adware:adware/block-checker

Incident: Potentially unwanted tool:application/myway
    Location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{04079851-5845-4DEA-848C-3ECD647AA554}

BTW, when I used to run SpyBot S&D before unistalling it it would take 1.5 hours and now it takes 15 minutes. Could this be because of the AVG running at same time? Is there possibly something I missed checking or unchecking with doing the download. I like Spybot to do a FULL Computer Scan.....only this person's opinion.

Well, that about sums it up I do hope and I do look forward to replies and also appreciate the time that will be taken to help me in this dilema.

Smiles
    Sincerely, a devoted SpyBot customer
    {{{{{HUGS for being so patient too}}}}}}}}
    Last edited by tashi; 2007-02-07 at 05:06. Reason: Duplicate post in the Malware forum removed. ;)

Question

im not very good with computers but i rely on windows securty centre to help me and spybot alerted me it was off when i did a scan.
    im sure i didnt turn it off and ive tried multiple ways to start it but it keeps changing back i have norton antivirus 2007, spybot S&D, ad aware 2007, and even win patrol but it keeps changing back to stopped as soon as i start it.
    like the post above me im also new and my firewall is and everything is off but i dont even get the lights there at all! it just comes up with "the security centre is unavailable because the "security centre " service has not started or stopped. please close this window, restart the computer ( or start the "security centre service"), then open the security centre again." it has been really frustrating for me to try and make it work and i need help.
    thanks keelan.
    Last edited by tlekeelan; 2007-07-02 at 09:49.

(sorry im new at posting!)

like the post above me im also new and my firewall is and everything is off but i dont even get the lights there at all! it just comes up with "the security centre is unavailable because the "security centre " service has not started or stopped. please close this window, restart the computer ( or start the "security centre service"), then open the security centre again." it has been really frustrating for me to try and make it work and i need help. i tried doing what was said in previous posts and i go into the security centre in sevices and its already on automatic so i pressed start and the dam thing came up with "error 1058: the sevice cannot be started either because it is disabled, or it has no enabled devices associated with it."
    i am pretty safe with my computer (obviously not as much as i thought) so im not sure what i can do.
    thanks keelan.

I'm not too sure if this would be it,but you might want to have a look here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;241584

Angry

hmm thats weird in all programs it doesnt have administrative tools im the only user so i know im the administrator

Talking

nah i went into start menu settings and found it

Angry

sorry for so many posts it was basicly the same info as before and nope it still wont work

OK guy, forgive me for not reading all the stuff that went before, but I would first check that the process is enabled using MSConfig. Do you know how to use that (it's a hidden XP system utility) or do you want instructions?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

tlekeelan:

You could try the fix located here:

Warning: Although the information on that site is generally reliable, I have never tried the fix, so use it entirely at your own risk.

Zenobia:

You pointed that fix out to me a while back for a "Could not start Security Center Service on local Computer. Error 123: The filename, directory name, or volume lable system is incorrect." problem.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2007-07-02 at 21:49.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.