Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Windows security Center Disabled

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

tlekeelan:

Please ignore the above post, it is a different error code: Error 1058 vs. Error 1083.
    Last edited by md usa spybot fan; 2007-07-02 at 21:01.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

tlekeelan,I'm not finding much more.So,I'll grasp at some straws.
    If it is not too much trouble,could you describe step-by-step what you are doing when you go to turn on Security Center?This might not help at all,but it is worth a shot,maybe we're missing something.Which previous posts were you following before?
    You have Norton Antivirus 2007?Is that the plain Norton Antivirus 2007,or is it the Norton Internet Security 2007?

Talking

the download worked great downloaded it, open it, restarted it and fixed thanks

but its working now so it mustve done something!

Default It seems to be a real problem for me

I play games at an online site called Pogo. The games are loaded in a java window, which is when I notice this the most, although it does happen when I'm doing other things also. The computer lags as if it is being overworked or there is a long wait for refreshing. The only thing that spybot can find (Norton doesn't show it as a problem) is the disabled security center. When I fix it, the problem goes away immediately. The problem for me is that it doesn't stay fixed. I end up having to run spybot and fix it again every couple of days or so. Any idea how to fix it permanently?

Hi there,nice to meet a fellow pogoer. I go on Pogo and have Windows Security Center turned off on my other computer,and I've never experienced that.I do find Pogo intermittently laggy sometimes,like on badge days,etc.Other times,it is fine.Fixing Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled just sets windows Security Center to automatic,and I can't figure why that being on would make your computer not lag.

Norton may be what disabled the Security Center,if you have Norton Internet Security Suite or similar.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=7315

After the scan,if you click on Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled,then click the area to the right with the arrows on it,Spybot will give you this description:

Company:
    Product: Microsoft.WindowsSecurityCenter_disabled
    Threat: Security

Functionality
    if the Windows Security Center is disabled this entry will be shown

Description
    Malware can disable the Windows Security Center to make your System more vulnerable.

If you have other security software suit installed, this may also deactivate the Windows Security Center to avoid double warning messages.
    This is a bit older post and it was an older Norton,but this should show you how to get Windows Security Center reenabled through Norton if you would prefer that,I think it is still the same.
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.p...2&postcount=36
    Last edited by Zenobia; 2007-08-04 at 23:39.

Smile Windows Security Center disabled--post #36

Just wanted to let you know that this fix worked for me. Thank you for posting it. I spent three days trying to get this resolved using various fixes from Google searches and nothing worked. The information here was presented so clearly, even my senior brain could figure it out. Thanks again.

You're welcome.

Default security centre et al disabled on start up

Spybot S & D is detecting unsafe settings for antivirusoverride and firewalloverride in HKLM\software\microsoft\security centre, do not allow sp2update in HKLM\software\policies\microsft\windows\windowsupdate and security centre is disabled in HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\wscsvc. if i fix them and ensure security centre is running with all the overrides turned off, so it should notify me if the firewall is not on, automatic updates is not on and the virus software is out of date and restart the machine, they're all reset to their previous values. also, when i fix the problems and start the security centre service and turn off the overrides i'm told windows firewall is not running but i can't turn it on because of a group policy setting. i can get round this by deleting the windowsfirewall folder in HKLM\Policies\Microsoft but again, the restart puts the group policy back in. this is not my machine but a friends and as i've just cleaned his system of lots of virii and spyware i'd like to turn on the security centre to allow him to have some knowledge of how secure his system currently is. i have installed spybot (obviously) and avg 7.5 and run them both until i get no reports (apart from those detailed at the beginning) and i have all the latest windows updates. i removed ccleaner, xoftspy and regcure and i can't seen any sign of norton on the system (i used SYMClean just in case). It seems like malicious code is running in the background somewhere, or just on startup and stopping security centre services. Any ideas?

Default found the culprit

i used processmonitor.exe from microsoft to filter the reg key edits and saw the process name and id that was resetting the reg keys... its svshost.exe, listed on one website as a Worm.P2P.Spybot.gen (looks just like svchost.exe so i didn't notice it) and it can restart itself if you simply terminate the process. i'm really bummed that avg didn't pick this up when i scanned the whole system. need to find a tool to remove the darn thing now. anyone know where i can get one?