Thread: "Lock Hosts file" - no longer works.

Default "Lock Hosts file" - no longer works.

Hello,

In SS&D 1.4, when I go Tools/IE tweaks and check the item: "Lock Hosts file read-only as protection against hijackers" that now does no longer_ works - although checked it no longer makes the C:\Windows\System\Hosts file read-only. The Hosts file now has to be m_ade read-only in Windows Explorer in the Properties for the file.

About twice a month we have been overwriting the "hosts" file with the one from:
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
    and then having updated SS&D doing_: Tools/Hosts File/Add Spybot-S&D hosts list. Therefore the Spybot "Lock Hosts file" was a useful function. Is there any way to restore the function?

It is the same situation on both of our stand-alone PCs running Win98SE with Spybot 1.4. I'm not able to say when the problem first occurred.
    (Spybot now also fails to make backup host files when adding its host list.)

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriele Hauschild View Post
    ... it no longer makes the C:\Windows\System\Hosts file read-only. ... (Spybot now also fails to make backup host files when adding its host list.)
    The real HOSTS file and the Spybot backups are not located in the C:\Windows\System directory.

The HOSTS file is located here:
    • Win 95/98/ME = C:\WINDOWS
    • Windows 2K = C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
    • Windows XP = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Thank you md_usa_spybot_fan for your reply.

You are quite right!

The "Lock Hosts file r_ead-only as protection against hijackers" function and the backups made using "Add Spybot-S&D hosts list",
    ARE BOTH working normally!

I sim_ply looked in the wrong path.

Thank you ag_ain.

Regards.