Thread: Teatimer won`t learn

Default Teatimer won`t learn

TeaTimer pops up at every startup to ask about whether to allow a registry change for a program I uninstalled ages ago. The folder has gone and I have cleaned the registry of all references to it, wiped all of Spybots logs, used "allow" with "remember" and then deleted it from the B & W list, and tried "allow" without "remember" but still it pops up to ask whether to allow the change or not.

I have even uninstalled Spybot, restarted and reinstalled it and it STILL asks whether to allow this registry change.

Does anyone know where it keeps this false information because it is so annoying?

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brander View Post
    TeaTimer pops up at every startup to ask about whether to allow a registry change for a program I uninstalled ages ago. ...
    The cause of the problem is because TeaTimer's snapshot files are out of sync with the registry. TeaTimer takes snapshots of Registry entries and compares these with the Registry at startup. Until these snapshots are updated you are likely to get pop-ups (at startup) of changes you made in the past. In other words, TeaTimer attempts to return the Registry to the state it was in when the snapshots were taken.

I believe that the reason that snapshot files get out of sync with the registry is because when TeaTimer starts the snapshot files are read into memory and maintained there. The snapshot files only appear to be rewritten when TeaTimer closes. During system shutdown (or restart) it appears that TeaTimer is terminated before it has a chance to rewrite the snapshot files and therefore they are out of sync with the registry if changes have been made to the registry.

The solution to the problem is to refresh TeaTimer's snapshot files. There are two ways to do this:
    1. Refresh TeaTimer's snapshot files:
      • Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
        • TeaTimer closes.
        • TeaTimer's snapshot files are refreshed at this time.
      • Restart TeaTimer:
        • Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
        • Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.
    2. Manually exit TeaTimer immediately prior to system shutdown or restart.

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.

Default Thanks

I`m getting the hang of how it works now so will try your suggestion.Thanks for the quick reply.
    It would still be nice to know where it keeps its snapshot, but as a registry search for the item does not find it I assume that the data is not kept in text format.

Default Thanks

Thank-you, that worked. Perhaps a future version could have a "take snapshot" button.

Spybot Advisor Team [Retired] md usa spybot fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brander View Post
    It would still be nice to know where it keeps its snapshot, but as a registry search for the item does not find it I assume that the data is not kept in text format.
    The snapshot files for TeaTimer are stored as .reg files in one of the following folders:
    • Windows 95 or 98:
      C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Snapshots
    • Windows ME:
      C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Snapshots
    • Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
      C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Snapshots

Getting an answer is one thing, learning is another.

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition running on a 2.40GHz IntelŪ PentiumŪ 4 Processor with 512 MB of RAM and a 533 MHz System Bus.